Little Picador Pillar Drill, Seen One Before?

Seaco

Registered
Registered
Hi All

Has anyone seen one of these before I don't mean a little pillar drill I mean one made by Picador I can't find any info on it at all, it's a lovely bit of kit and will be great for small precision drilling but I would like to find out more about it?

It has HKS or HSK in the casting but it isn't showing anything in Google...

P10107501600x1200test.jpg

P10107481600x1200test.jpg

P10107381600x1200test.jpg

P10107321600x1200test.jpg

lovely little machine, from the 1930's i would guess, I have drawn a blank on the HSK or whatever too, probably the initials of the parent company. Rack your brains for the names of those old companies like GKN (which was Guest Keen and Nettlefold). What make is the motor? is it GE or GEC by any chance? I have also seen motors of that pattern made by Electrolux! Again the style is 30's to 40's. Is that the original chuck?
Phil

hermetic link=topic=2178.msg14469#msg14469 date=1305748671 said:
lovely little machine, from the 1930's i would guess, I have drawn a blank on the HSK or whatever too, probably the initials of the parent company. Rack your brains for the names of those old companies like GKN (which was Guest Keen and Nettlefold). What make is the motor? is it GE or GEC by any chance? I have also seen motors of that pattern made by Electrolux! Again the style is 30's to 40's. Is that the original chuck?
Phil

Hi Phil

I have this same thread on three forums and I've drawn a blank on all of them, no one seems to have seen one before which must mean it's fairly rare?
I have checked the motor and it has no markings at all the paint looks original it still has gold painted stripes on it, as for the chuck I have no idea if it's original as I can't find any info on it...

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Lee, I would say it is fairly rare, I have seen quite a few tools with the Picador brand, but they tended to be die or pressure cast aluminium, generally woodworking tools from the 1960's and 70's like picture frame clamps and jointing jigs. Picador pulleys are still a well known brand, but appear to be made by this company now http://www.picadoreng.co.uk/ maybe they could tell you what happened to the company, and what the HSK logo is?
phil.

I have a 13" Covmac geared head lathe www.lathes.co.uk/covmac made in or just after WW2 (it has a "WAR FINISH" plate) I have drawn an absolute blank on that too. have you looked for picador on lathes.co.uk ? send a picture to them (tony is away till the 19 may), they may be able to help.
Phil

Phil

I have just emailed Picadoreng to see if they can help as you suggested and I've looked on lathes.co.uk without ant joy...

The search goes on!

Lee

knudsen link=topic=2178.msg14483#msg14483 date=1305755917 said:
You might also e-mail that museum I linked. Something in the search I did, or the museum makes me think it's a rarity.

I love the motor. Looks like they cut down a 1/2 HP to a 1/4 HP, literally! Like the old Buick V8 they sold to Rover only after chopping two cylinders off for the V6 version we have in the US.

I have just sent them an email keep your fingers crossed and I agree I love that little motor too, I have it all up and running now and it's as sweet as a nut...

Thanks for your advice.

Lee

I had a reply back from Picador Engineering / ABC but it wasn't to helpful unfortunately...

Hi Lee Thank you for your email . ABC Polishing has got a link with with the original picador engineering, ABC still produce some of the products , I looked at an old parts catalogue dated from 1985 and there was no information on the type of drill That you have got ,My guess is that it was possibly manufactured in the 1940/50s , I think you have got a rare piece of Equipment , that is worth looking after .

I hope it give you pleasure for many years to come .

Best Regards...

desmocrat link=topic=2178.msg14507#msg14507 date=1305765015 said:

Hi
I had a look at HSK World and a bit of a read but in the writeup it states that "HSK - is an abbreviation of the new standard Tooling Interface, which was developed in Germany and describes tooling shanks DIN69893 (DIN 69893) and spindle receivers DIN69063 (DIN 69063)."

So I think the HSK is just a coincidence but thank you for looking for me...

As for ABC I had already emailed them and the answer I got is in the previous post.

Lee

Looking at that casting mark, it could be SHK as the S wraps around the H and K

Did you ever find out any more info on this little drill.

Walter

Back