Live Center- Wrong Taper

JR49

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently got a nice Live center with an MT 3 shank. My Logan tailstock is an MT 2. What are my options? Thanks, JR49

Hmm, trade it for one with a #2 MT or sell it and buy one?

You can buy a MT3 to MT2 adapter similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Morse-Taper-Adapter-Drill-Sleeve/dp/B008KKADVS

It will probably affect your accuracy but will make the live center usable.

Another option is to cut the MT3 taper to an MT2 on your lathe. The taper may be hardened but it may just be case-hardened. If so, you can cut it.

You can also take it to a shop and have the taper ground to an MT2.

Edit: or you can sell the one you have and buy a nice Royal live center on ebay.

Last edited:
Send the nice MT3 live center to me. I will be sure it is disposed of properly.

The adapter is going to seriously shorten the working length of your lathe. I think your most reasonable option is to un-aquire the MT3 and purchase an MT2.

:+1: getting a MT2 center.

I always had trouble determining what size a taper was. I have to agree with the gang that adapter looks like it would be hanging out to far for me.

Thanks Guys, for the quick responses! I had reserched, and found the adapter that was suggested, but I also felt it would introduce accuracy problems and stick out to far . Although I have yet to try turning a morse taper, I was thinking of practicing on a scrap rod, and see how it turns out (probably will take a few attempts). However, even if I eventually do a good taper, there is one other concern. The MT3 shank is hollow along the whole length, and I'm afraid after turning it down to #2 the walls will be to thin. Has anyone done this? What do you think ? Oh, and as for the suggestions about selling it, I hate the whole process of selling stuff (the last two trucks I've had, I drove them longer than I should have, then donated them to charity. Just so you don't think I'm an idiot, I new it was mt3, but I payed almost nothing for it, and origanally was going to turn it way down to a small dia. straight shank, that would fit in a boring head and use it as an offset center for turning longer tapers without having to offset the tailstock (Says the guy who has never turned a taper). But hey, I have a nice Criterion boring head, and I dont even own a mill! (tool junkie) Anyway, the hollow shank nixed that idea, and I've typed way more than intended. Any other suggestions, JR49

It would cost a lot more than buying the #2 center to have it ground down. And,most machine shops would probably regard doing it as too much trouble.

Leaving the center sticking way out of an adapter will definitely lose accuracy. But,it will also lose rigidity,and shorten the distance between centers of your lathe a lot.

You need to just buy a #2 center,or put it here in classifieds to trade for a #2.

Back