Living on a " fixed " income while not going " broke " .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I ask those who have recently left the work force . Do you have regrets ? Are you managing to eek out a living ? Hardships to be considered ? Pros and Cons ? I'm at the point where I'm pulling the trigger on SS . I know Jeff and Mike retired recently and I realize today is different than 5-10 years ago . Chime in please .

Apparently it's best to not take an early retirement, then you can receive full benefits and even do some work on the side if you want
and they won't deduct from your SS
If you take an early retirement and still want to work they take a percentage of your SS
-Mark

I left the workforce involuntarily about 18 months ago. I'm not at SS age yet, but I've had my ducks in a row so my expenses (ignoring hobbies...) are low and things have not been bad. I am still looking to generate some supplemental income, but unlikely to return to my profession (electronics engineer) due to my location.

Probably the biggest hardship is figuring out what you can live on and then living within those means. We lived lean in our early working years and have had no debt other than our home, which is now paid. That meant that for several years I had a good income and few expenses leaving me with a lot of discretionary income even after banking a fair amount. Now I feel I must be much more conservative in my spending and that has been an adjustment.

Retired a little less than 3 years ago.

don’t regret a thing.

But thats a very personal thing. It depends on your income post retirement, the debts you owe and where your family situation is.

It also depends on where your head is, job wise. I was helicopter sar and when the doc said he was grounding me, I was mad. A couple weeks later I was thinking maybe it wasn’t the worst thing (I’ve seen and done things that would make a lot of folks curl up in to a ball and hide) and now, best thing that ever happened to me and probably why I’ve haven’t killed myself like so many people I knew in the job. I was ready to put down those bags, you have to decide if you are ready to put down your bags or not.

I was forced to retire by my employer for medical reasons. I was rcaf, so the gov’t of Canada is responsible for my injuries incurred as a result of my “employ”.

Consequently, my pension and benefits are quite…generous. I don’t have to work at all and my pension is roughly 90% of my pre-release wages. My wife works (because she wants to) and she also is retired military (ie: has a pension).

We kind of saw the writing on the wall for me before it happened though. 4 years before I was released, we started looking for a piece of land. 2 years before release we built our retirement home (built with my disabilities in mind). Roughly ten years prior, we starting knocking off our debts so that all we have now is the mortgage. No car payments, no credit cards, no loans, nothing but the mortgage and monthly expenses.

we do quite well, all said and done.

the only one who can answer the question as to whether you’re ready to retire is you…

Last edited:
No debt . Houses have been paid off 15 years ago . Land has been paid off for years . I've lived cheaply , a 20 % into the 401 K since I was 24 YO ? I add things up and it makes sense . I can earn $18,000 a year without penalties from SS which I plan on doing . I'll start up my LLC when I reach the limit . Medical benefits are pretty good thru the states program . I'm getting ready to tie up a few grand on a 4.5 % 1 year CD that has earned nothing over the past 5 years . A pension has been locked up for 23 years without a dime interest . So I have to go to the expert on this to figure out what to do .

So I ask those who have recently left the work force . Do you have regrets ? Are you managing to eek out a living ? Hardships to be considered ? Pros and Cons ? I'm at the point where I'm pulling the trigger on SS . I know Jeff and Mike retired recently and I realize today is different than 5-10 years ago . Chime in please .
I was very fortunate to have a great 401K/retirement savings plan from HP while I worked there. The $$ I'm drawing out monthly, plus Social Sec, keeps me very happy. Retired with a "golden handshake" about 12 years ago, started drawing SS at age 62, and doing well. By then, my house in Oregon had been fully paid off. So when my wife and I sold our respective houses, we were able to buy our present abode from the proceeds without going through the mortgage grinder. So no monthly payments! I've actally made some money with my shop (and paid some exorbitant income tax) last year. Not been able to do too much machining since my stroke, but I have hopes for later this year.

PS - we both go to a pretty good financial advisor that Judy's mother has been using for some time now.

Retired 11 years back, so this isn't lately. Things can get tight depending on what breaks and if the wife works if she wants to. No trips to exotic places, but they'd probably throw me out anyway.
The big difference is I've changed. Not wound like an 8 day clock anymore, I'm a granpa now, and get to ride my motorcycles anytime I want.

I retired at 62 & 5 months on 2/28/2022. We are doing great, not from luck (well, maybe some) but through saving for many years before retiring. More bragging than anything, but advisors will give a rough estimate of 10X of your salary in your 401K to be comfortable in retirement. We dipped to about 30x when the market took a dump down to 29K, and are back up to around 35X now. I'm not taking SS at this time. Starting next year I'll be rolling over 401K money into a Roth IRA so I'm paying taxes on just the 401K, not 401K plus SS. I'll wait until 67-70 to start drawing.

We paid off our house and other debt over 10 years ago. I'm also not taking a pension from GM (my former employer) as I had the option of a lump sum or a monthly pension. In my case, the lump sum was 21 years of my annual pension; easy decision. I should have probably retired from GM 3 or 4 years earlier, but didn't hate what I did. My Fidelity modeler 3 or 4 years ago showed that I could sustain what was my current salary at the time until 93. Now the modeler shows me bringing in 15% more than I made when I retired until I hit 93. With no debt, daughter through law school 5 years ago, son with a BS in Computer Engineering 3 years ago, we're are in a good place.

The toughest thing we're running into is switching from "save mode" to "we can spend some money" mode. We've needed new stools at our kitchen island for years. Do we REALLY need them, no, so we sat on the uncomfortable, unpadded, $10 each ones from Oak Express for 20 years. We just splurged on some $175 a pop ones with nice padded seats, lumbar support, swivel seat, etc. Oh no, $750 out of the bank account?!? Yep, and very glad we did.

Bruce

No regrets here. I retired at about 58 a couple of years ago. I say "about" because it has been a gradual thing and I got to retire at the speed I wanted from my own LLC. I have lots of hobbies, interests and family around and I was tiring of the work so it was an easy decision. I had a plan and have not been bored. I regret only that I didn't do it sooner.

I am not a financial expert but have learned a few things over the years that have worked out to be true. I hope the following helps you. You mentioned "going to a professional". I am kind of "a dog with a bone" on this topic so forgive me for maybe ranting a little.

I recommend that you use caution when/if picking an expert. Remember, they are in it to make money and that money comes from you. Understand what the costs are to you and be very careful about the costs they like to hide in various tricky (but legal) ways **. One trick is to lock you in to some of their "great and special" funds that are expensive for you to buy into and to leave. They imply that you will do better with those funds. They like to make it look complex too. I would go so far as to say "never pay front loading or back loading on any fund". It is generally just handing over a big chunk of your money for no likely benefit to you. I think there is a special place in he!! for some of those jokers. It is also less tricky to do it yourself than you might think.

Even if you do go with professional help, maybe read some of this linked wiki so at least you have good questions for them and can protect yourself: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page There is also a great forum there which I think is second only to this one for atmosphere and helpfulness. BTW, if you do ask investment/retirement questions there, use the question format they suggest in the wiki and you will get much better answers. Also, most questions have been answered there many times so the search feature is pretty useful.

SS is usually a good investment to put off taking as long as you are fairly healthy and don't need it yet. It grows much faster than inflation every year you don't take it. It grows much faster than the CD you mentioned. The trick is to not die too soon, but that is always the trick, right?
Once you start drawing from pension and tax-deferred (IRA / 401K), that also counts as income when figuring out tax for SS income. It really isn't a penalty, just another possible tax for a portion of your SS income. Feels like a penalty though.

For your CD, maybe consider a few smaller CDs bought over time. That way, they mature at different times, like once a quarter or half-year, etc. You may have to give up a small fraction of the interest for smaller CDs, but something to consider.

** My sister is retired and has been with an expensive, but popular store-front broker for decades. She wouldn't consider herself well-to-do. She asked and I worked with her and attempted to show her what a bad deal it was and recommended that she get out as soon as possible. It has literally cost her hundreds of thousands in fees (including missed growth on those earlier fees), needlessly. About 1/4 of her investment-generated annual income goes to fees, basically 1.2%, mainly AUM. She works part time at a job she does not really like to earn back about the same amount as those fees. This is not that uncommon. However, she "likes her guy" and mistakenly thinks he is making her more money and has stayed put. Part of it is a pride thing I suppose. A good part of it is that "her guy" is a better salesman than I am.

Back