LMS 3540 HiTorque 8.5 x 20 Lathe need info

jjtgrinder

JJTGRINDER
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought a Grizzly Tools G0765 7x14 about a year ago. It is the biggest POC that I’ve ever seen! I’ve had nothing but trouble with it you cannot make accurate parts on it.

I am now thinking about buying a Little Machine shop 3540 HiTorque 8.5 x 20 Lathe.

If anyone out there has this lathe that they’ve used for sometime , please let me know what you think about it.

Thank you. Grinder

Have you done a forum search for "3540"? It has been discussed quite a bit, pros and cons, mostly pros. A lot of good info. I've had mine for 6 years and have been very happy with it. I've done things from 8-32 screw threads to 4" chuck backplates on it.

Tom

Have you done a forum search for "3540"? It has been discussed quite a bit, pros and cons, mostly pros. A lot of good info. I've had mine for 6 years and have been very happy with it. I've done things from 8-32 screw threads to 4" chuck backplates on it.

Tom
Thank you sir!

I bought the lathe and I am very satisfied with it. The only thing I wish it had was a tumble reverse so I could disengage the gear train when not needed.

I bought the lathe and I am very satisfied with it. The only thing I wish it had was a tumble reverse so I could disengage the gear train when not needed.
It’s a bit more trouble than flipping a lever, but it’s pretty simple to open the gear compartment cover, loosen one hex head cap screw and swing the banjo down out of the way. I’ve never had the urge to disengage the gear train, but if I did, that’s what I’d do. Glad you like your new lathe.

Tom

Also, being able to quickly reverse the gear train.

Back