Local machinists: I need a 10' straightedge.

Way overthinking this, just have a piece of .050+ aluminum sheetmetal sheared to 3-6" wide, it will be accurate to .010 or better, cost will be about $40.

Just buy a sheer if plywood and cut it in half, 8 x 2 now.

Factory edge will be dead straight.

Get a couple 2x4 and drywall screws to allow stacking and you can make it longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Way overthinking this, just have a piece of .050+ aluminum sheetmetal sheared to 3-6" wide, it will be accurate to .010 or better, cost will be about $40.
I often use a 12" x 60" sheet of aluminum as a straight edge when doing layout. It works great as a cutting guide for drywall. The problem with sheet metal is it bows easily. Then, if it is not held perfectly vertical and it is bowed, the edge isn't straight any more. It could be improved by sandwiching it between two pieces of 1x4 to stiffen it though.

Channel is an unbalanced shape. I would choose a balanced shape such as I-beam or rectangular tube.
Perhaps a section of Unistrut/superstrut channel would be good; the ten-foot length is available, it has been
cold-worked, so should hold a straight (if it didn't get munged in shipment). I'd check (sight down a length) the stock
at the local hardware emporium, you might get a pristine item with straight edges for not much outlay of cash.

simple 90 degree bend will stiffen it up too
I often use a 12" x 60" sheet of aluminum as a straight edge when doing layout. It works great as a cutting guide for drywall. The problem with sheet metal is it bows easily. Then, if it is not held perfectly vertical and it is bowed, the edge isn't straight any more. It could be improved by sandwiching it between two pieces of 1x4 to stiffen it though.

Here is a 6' straight edge for $80 lol

Here is a 6' straight edge for $80 lol
Yeah that would do I suppose but who’d wanna handle that. 1/4x1”-6’ would be as flimsy as twizzler hanging from my mouth. You’d need at least 3” to be sturdy still would whip. My wife has a carpet binding biz and uses straight edges a lot. Hers are all 1/4” x3”from 4’-12’ all commercial bought. Precise enough for carpet but a pain to handle the large ones. As expected if not vertical with two hands on em they bow to either direction.

My focus is still on the straightedge more than the floor; you''ll have a tough [$$$] time finding a shop with a 10'+ plus mill, planer, or surface grinder. I'd go craigslist for a 8' plate level. A decent bar or extrusion isn't bad, just calculate rough Airy points. Your floor will never realize the difference.

Back