Locking BusyBee Mill Spindle

Stratty

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up this Busybee mill from an estate sale. I'm very new to hobbyist machining (pardon incorrect terminology) and have started to disassemble and clean the machine prior to putting it to work. The one thing I cannot figure out is how to lock the spindle to remove the collet and tooling. It looks like the previous owner was grabbing the spindle with a pipe wrench to loosen the draw bar. I used and impact to initially get the tooling out but would like to figure out how I'm supposed to do it.

Some machinist friends think that it was manufactured for morse tapers - but was retrofitted to accept R8 collets.

The mill
PXL_20240107_021228533.jpg

Drawbar insert hole
PXL_20240110_011431239.jpg

PXL_20240110_011530107.jpg

Only the inside column spins, but there is no keyway or hole for locking mechanism
PXL_20240110_011636341.jpg

PXL_20240110_011925061.jpg

PXL_20240110_011932594.jpg

PXL_20240110_012337646.jpg

I recently picked up this Busybee mill from an estate sale. I'm very new to hobbyist machining (pardon incorrect terminology) and have started to disassemble and clean the machine prior to putting it to work. The one thing I cannot figure out is how to lock the spindle to remove the collet and tooling. It looks like the previous owner was grabbing the spindle with a pipe wrench to loosen the draw bar. I used and impact to initially get the tooling out but would like to figure out how I'm supposed to do it.

Some machinist friends think that it was manufactured for morse tapers - but was retrofitted to accept R8 collets.

The mill
View attachment 474019

Drawbar insert hole
View attachment 474020

View attachment 474021

Only the inside column spins, but there is no keyway or hole for locking mechanism
View attachment 474022

View attachment 474023

View attachment 474024

View attachment 474025
Looks great.
I would find R8 collet and see fits.
I could been last one made with R8.

Dave

Looks great.
I would find R8 collet and see fits.
I could been last one made with R8.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes, R8's do fit. It came with an R8 and 3/8 end mill in it. I cannot lock the column to remove the collet/tooling with a wrench. I had to use an impact gun since there is no way to lock the spindle. When reinserting tooling, I cannot turn the drawbar more then finger tight before the wrench begins to turn the spindle as well which is not enough to secure the collet/tooling. Trying to figure out if there's a way to lock it other than a pipe wrench that I'm missing.

Yes I see your dilemma- it really needs some type of locking pin up in the step pulley area somewhere
That is an interesting model- has some features that the current ones don't have- nodding head for one
I like the vernier for the downfeed also

Do you see a spline down in that top hole? If so, maybe there is a special kind of spline wrench that will reach down into the hold and circle the spline. Think of it as a special kind of deep socket? Most of the mills do not come with a spline wrench, why I do not know as it is essential to locking the spindle for tool removal and install.

That slot is for a wedge to remove a morse taper tool.

Do you see a spline down in that top hole? If so, maybe there is a special kind of spline wrench that will reach down into the hold and circle the spline. Think of it as a special kind of deep socket? Most of the mills do not come with a spline wrench, why I do not know as it is essential to locking the spindle for tool removal and install.
If you feed the quill down you can see a spline through where the Z index should be, but it's not accessible from the top
1000007129.jpg

Hi Dave,

Yes, R8's do fit. It came with an R8 and 3/8 end mill in it. I cannot lock the column to remove the collet/tooling with a wrench. I had to use an impact gun since there is no way to lock the spindle. When reinserting tooling, I cannot turn the drawbar more then finger tight before the wrench begins to turn the spindle as well which is not enough to secure the collet/tooling. Trying to figure out if there's a way to lock it other than a pipe wrench that I'm missing.
Next is a R8 has a pin inside the quill to tighten the collet.
A lot time on older equipment some has over tighten and broke the pin.

Dave

Next is a R8 has a pin inside the quill to tighten the collet.
A lot time on older equipment some has over tighten and broke the pin.

Dave
Is the pin you are referring to the guide pin that sets the direction of the collet? There is a notch inside that only allows the R8 to draw up if it aligns with the notch. But I do not see any other pins.

I had one, bought in the mid 80's. It used MT3 like this one
I don't remember if the spindle locked

Back