Locking Down My Cross Slide?

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The backlash in my cross slide has created problems a couple of times while trying to use my milling attachment. Bits grab and dig in...destroying some carbide tooling so far. I was wondering if taking out a gib adjustment screw and installing a wingnut like the milling height gib has is better or should I drill a dedicated locking screw into the gib side of the dovetail? Is there a better way? Obviously zero backlash is best but that project is a ways down the road...

the first is what I'd do and I plan on doing something similar when I have time. Be nice to lock the cross slide for boring and turning too.

Same on mine. One of the screws was swapped out for a regular bolt that I could put a wrench on to tighten it.
Pierre

Likewise. Besides preventing the cross slide from being pulled forward, the cross slide lock prevents you accidentally bumping the crank and moving it. Several years ago I bought one of the T-handle lock screws as used on the milling attachment and replace the third gib screw with it. It is good practice to lock both the carriage and the cross slide while milling.

Back