LocTite 680 Strength?

Loctite starts loosing strength at 200 degrees, progressively gets weaker until failure at around

Well here is the scoop. I did use 680 and pressing in the trunnions a couple of days ago. Tried heating with Mapp gas until they (one) turned blue and still could not budge it loose or turn it in the socket. I'm still going to tack-weld them in, but I'm thinking this is going to be strong enough for now. If there is ever a failure I can get to them easy enough......

Quite a project - and very enlightening for a novice hobby machinist.:encourage:

Well here is the scoop. I did use 680 and pressing in the trunnions a couple of days ago. Tried heating with Mapp gas until they (one) turned blue and still could not budge it loose or turn it in the socket. I'm still going to tack-weld them in, but I'm thinking this is going to be strong enough for now. .:encourage:

When you tack weld you will likely dissolve the thread locker won't you? If not I think thread locker re-hardens after it has been heated (but I'm not sure).
If I were you I would use a high temp retaining compound (post above) instead of a thread locker. They are designed for different applications.

680 is more of a retaining compound is it not??
Yes it is. Sorry, I was wrong in thinking that it is a thread locker. However, I did not see it listed as a "high temp" retaining product - for what that is worth.

Back