Logan 11" Lathe

jackofall

Registered
Registered
Greetings,

I recently bought a Logan 11 inch lathe. I bought it on ebay for I think a decent $500.00 price.
I have not received it yet. I am hoping some one will recognize it as no model number was provided.
My previous experience has been with bench-top models.
It was advertised as a Logan 11" with a 34" bed. I have been unable to find a model with an 11" swing with a 34" bed.
The lath is equipped with a 1.5 Hp. Baldor motor with a V belt, flat belt drive.
I have a few photos that will hopefully help.

Thanks,

Jackofall

Logan.JPG $(KGrHqJHJBoFJfTMphHHBSYFkV5Ccg~~60_14.JPG $T2eC16VHJGIFFoo0GMS3BSYFkqs,oQ~~60_14.JPG

Jack,

Can you post larger pictures? It's impossible to see any detail from the pic's you posted.

The only Logan beds in the 34" length (actually 33") were the 9" swing lathes. The shortest bed on an 11" was 43".

Steve

I remember that auction, here are your pics and a couple thoughts:
$(KGrHqMOKogFJZsdpqS0BSYFkPlhlQ~~60_57.JPG$T2eC16VHJGIFFoo0GMS3BSYFkqs,oQ~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16VHJIgFHSKdJuzHBSYFldk4F!~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16ZHJHMFH!,qD,y!BSYFk4Wwpw~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqR,!qQFJVzMVZ7vBSYFpO1cwQ~~60_57.JPG$(KGrHqJHJEMFJHtUl!oZBSYFlGqjR!~~60_57.JPG
A couple things that stick out to me:
  • My Gut is saying 10" ... but I may be wrong
  • Also guessing that it is 43" not 34" bed length
  • This lathe originally had cast iron legs and a chip pan that it sat on (note the "5th leg" under the motor carriage).
  • It is a 1/2 hp motor (which was std on the 10" ... IIRC 3/4hp was on the 11").
  • Compound looks to have had some repair to it (I see a allen cap screw in one of the pics on Ebay).
  • Unfortunately, I don't see the other change gears for threading ... non issue if you don't thread a bunch.
  • It looks to be in pretty nice shape ... it still has the tailstock dauber!!

$(KGrHqMOKogFJZsdpqS0BSYFkPlhlQ~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16VHJIgFHSKdJuzHBSYFldk4F!~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16ZHJHMFH!,qD,y!BSYFk4Wwpw~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqJHJEMFJHtUl!oZBSYFlGqjR!~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16VHJGIFFoo0GMS3BSYFkqs,oQ~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqR,!qQFJVzMVZ7vBSYFpO1cwQ~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
Greetings,

Thanks for the info. I sort of suspected the description on ebay was not correct.
I asked for the model number, but he never responded. I am waiting for overall dimensions in order to have it shipped.
So there will be more when I know more.

Thanks again,

Jackofall

Easiest way to tell (once you have it) ... measure the inside spindle diam (inside the gear cover). If it is less than one inch ... 10" Lathe. If greater than 1" ... 11" lathe.

Cpngrats on the lathe. It might take a little doing to get it right ... but that lathe appeared to be in good condition. Probably had low use. Generally, if the dauber on the tailstock is still present ... it never saw too much use.

Ed

Easiest way to tell (once you have it) ... measure the inside spindle diam (inside the gear cover). If it is less than one inch ... 10" Lathe. If greater than 1" ... 11" lathe.

Cpngrats on the lathe. It might take a little doing to get it right ... but that lathe appeared to be in good condition. Probably had low use. Generally, if the dauber on the tailstock is still present ... it never saw too much use.

Ed

Ed, I have a 10" parts machine that I bought from a scrap yard that still had the dauber in it, but the machine was pretty well used up. I would agree that the lathe in the pics doesn't look like it has been used in production, but it's really hard to judge a machine from pics. The serial # for that machine will be stamped in the end of the bed. You can look on the Yahoo Logan group and find a number close to yours to get an idea of model and year. My guess is early 40s 10".

Chuck

Ed, I have a 10" parts machine that I bought from a scrap yard that still had the dauber in it ...

LOL, nothing is ever for certain, that's for sure! I have never even seen a genuine Logan dauber in person.

Hey Chuck, do you have an extra lever (the one you squeeze in) for the feed direction lever?

Last edited:
Hey;

Looks like a pre 1943 200 model to me. 10x24". Horizontal long emblem. Power switch in the front opening. Pipe peg leg. Those are the cues. Looks decent. Not the original motor, which was .5HP.

Last edited:
Back