Logan 1875, Proper Lubrication Questions

aztoyman

Active User
Registered
Logan 1875, Proper Lubrication Questions (Grease Zerks or Oil Cups in QCGB?)

Just got this Logan and have some tooling and lube ordered. I ordered Mobile Spindle and Way oil per Logan specs in Manual.

The manual points out all the lube points (Almost) and says to keep the ways oiled. It also says to keep a small amount of graphite grease on all the gears in the head stock, apron and rack teeth under the front way.

What I don't find in the manual is the QCGB lube requirements. Mine has three grease zerks. Wondering if they were retrofitted at one time and if they should be the little oil taps like the rest of the lathe has.

Eathan and Lathe 004 (2).jpg

You can see two of them in this pic. The other is behind the back gear cover. I can take a better pic if needed.

What do the experts think? Grease or spindle oil?

Eathan and Lathe 004 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I can tell you my Logan 820 came with Gits style oil cups not grease zerks.

I don't know what those are. The ones with flip up caps? Or the spring loaded ball type you push in like the rest of my lathe?

I know, I know..........Search noob. I did. Now I just need to find out what threads, size, angle etc. Might need straight, a 45 and a 90.

Thanks!

Logan 1875 QCGB Zerks 004 (2).jpg
I see this is what you were talking about.

Logan 1875 QCGB Zerks 001 (2).jpg Logan 1875 QCGB Zerks 003 (2).jpg Logan 1875 QCGB Zerks 004 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I think I know why nobody's jumping in to help on this one. I don't think it should have anything there at all.

My parts book shows NO oil cups for the gearbox. It shows Oilite bushings and no holes or plugs in the casting.

Every pic I find on line of my model lathe doesn't seem to have anything there.

I looked at Gits and McMaster-Carr for oil cups and there isn't room for them where these zerks are located. Maybe the straight one on top.

The bushings have recently been replaced. Should I just flush the grease out and squirt a little spindle oil in instead? Oilite bearings should be fine as is I thought, but yet the tail stock has a cup from the factory for the Oilite bushing for the end of the feed screw?

- - - Updated - - -

DANG IT! I take it back. I found another model number Logan gearbox that has small oil cups like the tail stock.

Maybe they were originally press in and the same as the one in the tail stock.

Nobody?

Re: Logan 1875, Proper Lubrication Questions (Grease Zerks or Oil Cups in QCGB)

I thought I was on to something. South Bend has some that are 1/4" press in but too big overall to fit in my locations. Cheap on auction site and even cheaper on Amazombi.

I just gave up and e-mailed Logan.

Looking at my 820 manual it shows oil cups for the older gear box (serial number 46561 and earlier) but I can't find them on diagram for the newer gear box. On my 820 they were press in, and if my memory hasn't completely failed they were all 1/4".

Those things that look like grease fittings may actually be oil fittings. I know McMaster Carr sells a very expensive oil gun #1879k48 for zerk style oil fittings. I believe these were used on older milling machines also.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1879k48/=rpddne

I've never seen grease zerks anywhere on any Logans and don't believe any came from the factory like that. It's anyone's guess as to why the previous owner made the change. Here's a picture of my 10" Logan and you can see the Gitz cups on the gear box.

P1050003.JPG

P1050003.JPG

Here are some pictures of the Gits oilers on my 820. These were new replacements but locations and style are the same as the originals. I believe both stevecmo's and mine are the older style gear box. Note the longer extension on the gear box where the lead screw enters the box.

logan820_a9_crop_pointer.png logan820_a10_crop_pointer.png

Back