Logan 400 gifted

I don't think that you want to use Way Oil everywhere.
The instructions that came with my PM1440HD call for the use of Mobil DTE oil Heavy Medium for everything. I bought a 5 gallon pail when I got my lathe. 5 years ago it cost $83 from an oil distributor. I do use wheel bearing grease on the change gears since it sticks really well.

Thanks for all the info. This one has v belt drive. Motor bracket is mounted to the table. I did read about suppprting the motor with a post but if the table is wide enough wouldn’t the post. BE redundant or does it need an outboard support anyway?

The motor support post was for the version or model with two (usually cast) legs under the bed. If the machine was offered in a cabinet model (I didn't check) it probably wouldn't use the post. And if instead of the legs, you have the lathe mounted on a bench or table wide enough to mount the motor on, you also wouldn't need the post (assuming that the bench or table is stiff enough).

The motor support post was for the version or model with two (usually cast) legs under the bed. If the machine was offered in a cabinet model (I didn't check) it probably wouldn't use the post. And if instead of the legs, you have the lathe mounted on a bench or table wide enough to mount the motor on, you also wouldn't need the post (assuming that the bench or table is stiff enough).
Thanks. I figured the bench was wide enough but I sure don't want to ride this thing to the floor.

I don't think that you want to use Way Oil everywhere. It is designed or formulated to have much higher than average or normal surface tension in order to cling to non-horizontal surfaces. Consequently, you do not want to use it on applications where it is expected to run freely through holes, tubing and passageways.. It would probably be better than straight SAE 20 or ISO 68 on open gears, although high temperature grease is usually specified for this in non-oil filled gear assemblies such as most Banjo-mounted change gear setups.
My bad, "everything" didn't include the change gears. I apologize. And I don't really disagree with you. Was just passing on Scott's recommendation. I honestly haven't looked to see if the Logan site has changed their posted lubricant recommendations from what they have called out for in their manuals.

You can see the different models Logan offered here. I edited the link after I noticed a catalog that listed "All vee belt." Both catalogs show the 400 9" as only a table mount lathe. The 800 series 10" & 900 11" were either one of two styles of a factory table or factory cast legs, chip pan, and the cast motor "peg leg" support that is outside the chip pan. The peg legs can go missing and pipe used as a replacement, I didn't know until I looked at the catalog the 400 didn't come with the chip tray/peg leg option.

Ron

Last edited:
You can see the different models Logan offered here. I edited the link after I noticed a catalog that listed "All vee belt." Both catalogs show the 400 9" as only a table mount lathe. The 800 series 10" & 900 11" were either one of two styles of a factory table or factory cast legs, chip pan, and the cast motor "peg leg" support that is outside the chip pan. The peg legs can go missing and pipe used as a replacement, I didn't know until I looked at the catalog the 400 didn't come with the chip tray/peg leg option.

Ron
That's interesting info. Thanks

That's interesting info. Thanks
That Logan 400 is a nice lathe for its size. I had to sell mine to make room in the shop. It’s a bench style model for sure. I have had to make motor pully’s for both a 10” and 11” Logan. They are different diameters and would not be surprised if the 9” is also. If you can get the size from Scott Logan it is a nice project and not too difficult. You might need to broach a keyway. I did one single point using the carriage so it can be done.

Attachments

• F2DEB497-0F91-4767-9C41-4DB361F5EB37.jpeg
    F2DEB497-0F91-4767-9C41-4DB361F5EB37.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 406CE6E5-1B8A-4830-A21D-5E4D168A6D09.jpeg
    406CE6E5-1B8A-4830-A21D-5E4D168A6D09.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 22
  • EA347FF6-FAD5-414B-99C1-466519DCF2D9.jpeg
    EA347FF6-FAD5-414B-99C1-466519DCF2D9.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 19
Scott did provide the pulley sizes to me on the Logan user group. He does not have them available so may still have to make them at some point. If anyone else needs to know, the info he provided- Motor pulley is 2.24" and 2.83". Counter shaft pulley is 6" and 6.38". Use "A" or "4L" belt. I'll be running slower with the configuration I have. Little more work to do on the belt tension lever and I'll be ready to spin it. Seems to be cleaning up ok and not a lot of wear but it has seen some abuse.

Back