Logan 7" Shaper

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I accidentally bought a DS7 shaper at auction. But I know little to nothing about it.

I searched Vintage Machinery for anything on it and came up empty. Not even sure of when these were made, the only ones I found in the catalogs were 8" shapers.

I'd appreciate any and all information anyone could give me on it. I couldn't find a serial number, just a plate with the model number stamped into it.

6b3a4d46e330537152f40398cef41b62.jpg

I have a Logan 7" Shaper. The 7" were the earlier version. I believe the 7" was originally made by Porter Cable and acquired Logan, with later version updated by Logan to have a crank up table, additional table support bracket, and renamed to the 8". From what I've been able to find Mfg dates for the 7" was the early 1940's

Mine's a great little machine.

Attachments

• Porter Cable (Logan) 7%22 Shaper.pdf
    842 KB · Views: 27
Thanks. That helps a lot in determining age, etc.

I like the fact that it's from that era. Makes me think about keeping it. I did find what looks like a serial number: 10DS44. It was stamped on the cross slide. But I couldn't find anything that would suggest a manufacture date.

IMG_6973.jpg

man, I love accidental auction buys! Especially when they're other peoples :)

man, I love accidental auction buys! Especially when they're other peoples :)

If you knew what I paid, you’d wish it was you.

I honestly didn’t think my bid would hold up. Especially when there was 30 minutes left. If you’ve ever watched auctions, you know that the last 30 minutes the price can quadruple. I watched a collection of scrap metal go from $200 to $800 in a matter of 10 minutes.

I'm glad you got it - even though it was by an accident. -My shapers- I had to drive 6 hours round trip for each, on top of what I paid.

I hope you enjoy and tool up. those Logans were nice little shapers.

A short video I made of the first run of the shaper.

Back