Logan Lathe Back Gear Problem

LogansRun

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

My Logan 2527 runs great. All the gears look good under the housing. I can turn the large gear that is in the rear of lathe (shown in photo) by hand which represents the Back Gear engagement. When fully engaged, it locks up everything. I can't tell why? Anyone having this issue... Please help.

Thanks.... Bob

Logan Lathe Back Gear.gif

When you engage the backgear you must disengage the bull gear from the spindle. I'm not familiar with that model but it might have a sliding handwheel on the rear of the spindle. If it does you need to pull it rearward until the dogs are disengaged.

Most Logan lathes have a drive pin that locks the bull gear on the spindle to the pulley that is on the spindle. When using back gear, you have to pull the pin out, then engage the back gears. To go back to normal operation, reverse the process: disengage the back gears, then while pushing in on the pin, turn the pulley until the pin pops in.

On edit: I just looked up the headstock on your model, and the pin should be on the far left end of the spindle assembly as you are standing and facing the lathe as you would when operating it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, I copied your pic and added a red arrow. On the left end (facing the front of the lathe) of the headstock there is a handwheel. you need to stand at that end and grab that handwheel and pull it toward you . It will pull towards you about 3/8" which will disengage the spindle from that drive pully with the belt that you see in the pic. Also, in my pic notice the two green lines, they show the "cogs" (probable wrong name) that separate when you pull the handwheel out. If it doesn't move, give it a really good pull. When I got my 2557 the handwheel was stuck, or so I thought but once I made sure I was pulling really straight out, and hard, it snapped out. Then once I oiled it, it always moves easily. So, once you have the pully out you engage the backgear, then it is that backgear train it the headstock that connects to, and turns the spindle. You also now know how to lock the spindle so that it wont turn for doing things like hand threading a pare held in the chuck. Hope my explanation makes sense, sometimes I ramble on. Let us know if it works out, if not I can put up some pictures to better explain it. Good Luck, JR49
EDIT, Just saw your introduction post, welcome to the forum. and as I said , I have the same model lathe so if you have any other questions, please ask. You are lucky to have found the friendliest bunch of very knowledgable guys on the web! Now, I don't include myself in the knowledgable part, but I do know about the 2500 series Loganswith arrow.gif

Last edited:
Thanks all for your help. Still in trouble. It seems that the machine was used in a production environment, I removed the attachment from the Logan side plate when moving. I have a full set of collets that I presume the handle was a release mechanism from videos Iv'e seen. I pulled with the front knob (missing from mine) in both positions. The is a gear at the end (which I removed) and it seams a collar that is screwed on (I did not try to remove until I see what you guys think). Below are 3 more photos. Thanks again.
Logan Lathe Rear Handle1.gif Logan Lathe Rear Handle2.gif

P.S. here's a few more photos

Logan Lathe Complete.gif

That angled pipe was inserted from left side.....

Logan Lathe rear adapter.gif

Logan Lathe Collets.gif

Logan Lathe Double Taper Cut.gif

Thanks for the photos, as they are a great help!

The hand wheel in the first and second photos is what you pull on. Some of the older machines like this had a separate pin there, but not yours. That hand wheel needs to be pulled out slightly to disengage the drive pin for direct drive. It may take some effort, but it should move.

The 'angled pipe' that you refer to in your last post is the tube for your collet closer attachment. Having never used a collet closer on a lathe like yours I do not know if its installation will interfere with pulling the hand wheel and direct drive pin out or not. It may be possible that the collet closer interferes with pulling the hand wheel / direct drive pin out. If the closer had been installed and used for a very long time without ever using back gear on the lathe, the hand wheel may very well be a bit reluctant to pull out and will require some effort.

I only ever tried your model of lathe out one time, but it was in poor condition and I chose not to purchase it. I am hoping that JR49 will chime in again as he indicated that he has the same model lathe as you. He would be a far better resource than myself, but I do my best to help in what ways I can.

Good luck!

Bob, Handwheel Engaged.jpg Handwheel Disengaged.jpg Handwheel Disengaged.jpg I will be refering to the pics that you posted this morning. In pic #1 you can clearly see the coggs (or dogs as chuck K probably correctly called them), right at the base of the spindle drive pully. At about 12 o'clock, and 5 o'clock the lighter dogs are part of the pully, and the darker dog in between them is part of the handwheel, which is keyed to the spindle. When the dogs are meshed together, as in pic #1, the spindle (and handwheel) turn at the same speed as the drive pully. When you pull the handwheel out, then engage the backgear, the spindle, and the handwheel (remember it's keyed to the spindle) turn much slower than the drive pully. So, you need to put oil in that capped oil hole at 12o'clock on the face of the pully (still pic #1), for every 8 hr. of backgear operation (I do it much more offen). One more thing, there is a ball and indent of some type that holds the handwheel in either the meshed or unmeshed positions, so no pin is needed.

Now back to your problem, I would drip some penetrating oil in between all the dogs, and in the pully oil hole (the cap unscrews) that I mentioned above. Then, most importantly, you MUST pull very straight with 2 hands on the handwheel. The bushing is a very tight slip fit on the spindle, Mine moves easilly, but if i try do pull it from only 1 side, it binds and wont budge.

Now, for pic #2, I have to assume that because the pic is looking so straight at the spindle, I can't see that the spindle sticks out past the handwheel by a little bit, as seen in pic 1. Or did you remove something? If you put your finger on the OD of that round spanner nut, and slide finger in a little, you will feel that there is a small gap between the inside of the nut and the outside base of the handwheel. When you pull on the handwheel it moves the distance of that gap and stops against the nut

OK, I just re-read your second post. If that part that sticks out further than the handwheel is a sleeve than that explaines why, with my collet closser (yes that pipe in 2nd pic of 2nd post is the collet closer) the pipe seemed to be too long. I didn't have that sleeve. You can unscrew it if you want, but be sure and keep it with the rest of the collet closser parts. But even if you leave it on, it wont interfere with slidding the handwheel out to dissengage the spindle.

Anyway, sorry, this is soo long, I felt that if you know how it works, then you will see that there is nothing keeping the handwheel from pulling out, other than probably old dried out oil or grease. It may not have been mooved for many many years. I am including 2 pics of my "backgear handwheel". First one, dogs engaged with pully dogs (like yours), Second pic, handwheel pulled back so disengaged from pully, and lathe ready to be put in backgears. Hope this helps, JR49 EDIT, Don't know why pics got on top of my post, or why there are 2 of the disengaged pics. Oh well you get the point. Good luck

Last edited:
JR49. Thanks so much. I got it. I had to use a slim chisel and hammer in 3 spots and it took a lot of strenght to get it to budge. Finally got it. It took half hour to get it BACK !!!! still have to pry and use rubber mallet to et back in. Used a LOT of CRC... so I did a nice cut at 120 RPM. So thanks again.
P.S. I have a million questions and have lots of money to spend, etc. If you don't mind calling via phone.... in Florida (call anytime... I'm a night owl) (561) 414-4424.

Thanks again to everyone.... Terry, etc. Hey Terry... I play all the old Dixie songs on my Mandolin !

Logan Lathe Back Gear Finally Works 112815.gif

Don't let the hat fool you! I shoot muzzleloaders, but I am not a re-enactor, nor am I from the south. I do like bluegrass music though!

The photo was taken at my niece's wedding reception. The wedding and reception were both held at her husband's parents' place. They had a box full of hats and a camera there. The idea was to put on a silly hat and take a silly photo of yourself. My avatar is a cropped portion of the whole photo which had both my wife and I in it. It may not sound like a normal wedding, and it wasn't, but they had a number of things set up there and it was the most fun I've ever had at a wedding.

Back