Logan Lathe Back Gear Problem

Dang Terry, That wedding story just bursted the bubble of thoughts and wonderment that I had of you ... of course all based off that silly little pic. LOL. Those avatars are a funny little thing in this computer age ... on other forums, I used to have the back end of a horse as mine. :)

LogansRun - Welcome to the site. Looks like a nice Logan ... I wish I had one that size (mine is a 10"). Based on what I am seeing ... I bet that back gear engagement will work with the collet closer assembled.

Yes... the back gear is working properly now. This morning I yanked and pushed 30 or more times about 3 millimeters worth, along with more doses of CRC spray and rotating the lathe letting gravity help. Finally freed itself. I marked a scribe so that I always line up the dog gogs the same orientation one position out of three). To get back to high speed, I found it easiest to I press ring while not lined up in till it touches the other collar flush and then rotate carefully to align the blank indented spot to the cog and gently tap wheel (ring) with slight karate type jabs and the wheel pops back in for high speed. I am very happy now, for the Lathe has proven to be a good working one except for years of neglect as far as cleanup and lubes. As far as the collet attachment. That is the next chore. I still have not been able to get Chuck off due to lack of experience. Everyone said it UN-screws which is not the case. I see now that the collar behind the chuck gets unscrewed and then the chuck gets popped of the spindle (from behind with stock in chuck) which has a keyway with key installed. So wish me luck on that final endeavor!..... Bob :) P.S. I was out to buy MiG and Tig welding equipment (which I still have not purchased) when I came across the lathe. I always wanted one since 8th grade metal shop where I made a chisel as opposed to a ball peen hammer. So now I can continue with my High School education! My live center is on the way from E-bay site and buying a bench grinder to grind my bits. So I'm on my way fellas (and gals out there) Thanks again.

Well everyone loves their Lathes (and other equipment) I'm sure. Here are some of the photos of moving my lathe and setting up in garage using the 3 phase 1 HP motor it came with. (Doerr which is Emerson).

Collet attachment removed for move.
Logan Lathe Collet Attachment.gif

I moved this Lathe single handed the wheels on the cart turn in the front and rear so it would follow me. I walked it from where it was located in the shop all the way around to a garage loading zone area. Along with a newly purchase 1 Ton Engine Hoist from good old Harbor Freight. The red cart was mine and by coindidense the machine shop had the yellow tucked away in a corner somewhere. The Carriage, Back slide

Logan Lathe Train for moving.gif

$250.00 2 HP, 7.5amp VFD + $37.00 remote cable. I ran the 240 line using a 20 amp double breaker. 240 Volt single phase input, 240 Volt 3 phase output. I am using the variable speed belt setup from Logan, so i'm running at the 60HZ without over clocking speed. I have ramp up and down speeds set to 5 seconds.

Logan Lathe VFD hooked up.gif

Logan Lathe VFD hooked up2.gif

My first three operations on a 8" piece of cold rolled steel stock that I took home from 8th grade shop class around 1967 when the lathe was a newborn.

Logan Lathe First cut.gif

Yes that is an LOO spindle. They were optional on the larger Logans. Get the correct wrench to loosen the collar. Don't be tempted to use a punch and hammer, while waiting on the wrench.

I would like to echo Mr. Ed's advice about waiting for the proper wrench to loosen that collar. I've seen a number of those LOO collars over the years that were all beat up and nearly worthless.

Mr. Ed, judging from your comments about the story of my avatar, I guess it's time to start looking for the right photo op to make a new avatar. Give me time, I'll think of something!

Mr. Ed, judging from your comments about the story of my avatar, I guess it's time to start looking for the right photo op to make a new avatar. Give me time, I'll think of something!
LOL Terry ... one request ... no clown costumes!!:eek 2:

Yes that is an LOO spindle. They were optional on the larger Logans. Get the correct wrench to loosen the collar. Don't be tempted to use a punch and hammer, while waiting on the wrench.
The collar is quite beaten up by people using drifts and hammers. It is loose where I can do it by hand.

Back