Logan Model 200 Servo Threading

I have seen photos of the quick acting tool holder, and I even have a picture I printed off of the one I saw... I have used the Hardinge one, I used it in the Navy on the ship... and it is way cool... I need it for my lathe as well, so if someone finds a set of drawings... PLEASE share!!!

I have seen photos of the quick acting tool holder, and I even have a picture I printed off of the one I saw... I have used the Hardinge one, I used it in the Navy on the ship... and it is way cool... I need it for my lathe as well, so if someone finds a set of drawings... PLEASE share!!!

I know that the HLV had two different types, one a coaxial collar and the other with an eccentric shaft. The Monarch stop collar might be easier to implement, but I would like to see the guts of all of them for ideas rather than reinvent the wheel.

I have very little electronic experience but would be VERY interested in this project PLEASE, PLEASE keep us informed.

Did you happen to see the retractable tool holder in the Sep/Oct 2017 issue of the Home Shop Machinist?

The plans call for removal of the compound, adds a riser block, and lays out a retractable tool holder that attaches to the side of a quick change tool post.

It looks like a good bit of milling work, but certainly a nice addition for a lathe.

Did you happen to see the retractable tool holder in the Sep/Oct 2017 issue of the Home Shop Machinist?

The plans call for removal of the compound, adds a riser block, and lays out a retractable tool holder that attaches to the side of a quick change tool post.

It looks like a good bit of milling work, but certainly a nice addition for a lathe.

Thanks for the tip. I just looked at their web site, and I think you mean the July/August issue? I've only thumbed through the magazine a few times, and I haven't been to a bookstore in a couple of years now. Amazon's just too easy.

I failed to mention that it's a two part article. The Sep/Oct article adds the lever feature.

Do they have drawings with the article? I will buy the magazine to get the prints... I have tools I make that need threaded on a taper and that quick acting tool post will be a BIG help.

Would LOVE to order the back issues, but it seems they require my phone number and an email and four blood samples, DNA from my firstborn....All I want is a danged magazine. Part of that statement is not true but so tired of this crap of needing all that info to send a flippin magazine...

there are some good guides on stm32duino.com if you want to keep using the arduino IDE. there are a quite a few different chipsets. the super cheap blue pills are "STM32F103C8T6 "

Back to the topic at hand, I've been digging more and I have replaced the LCD with an OLED using i2c. As I dug into the ISR for the encoder i see that there is a ton of stuff in there including driving the motor. Are you using external interrupts or are you pollling the encoder via a timer?

I'm also wondering what microstepping you are targeting and why? I bought a closed loop hybrid stepper to direct drive the lead screw. I would like to leverage it's smooth microstepping as much as possible. The russian ELS seems to be targeted at 1/4 microstepping which isn't very smooth.

also i'd love some coffee!

After looking into it more, I decided to give the Cypress "Programmable System on a Chip" CY8CKIT-059 a try for $15 from Digi-Key. Their development board plugs directly into a USB port, it has a Cortex M3 core, and 5-volt I/O. Their IDE looks very interesting, and implementing a quadrature decoder is just a matter of dropping one into the schematic and connecting it up. Potentially capable of a great deal more, too.

At least I think so. I hope to have the opportunity to try it out soon.

-Jon

Back