Logan/Porter Cable 7 Inch Shaper Varispeed Pulley Help

L

Lost Pup

Forum Guest
Register Today
I am deep into a Logan 7 Inch Shaper restore. The unit did not have the original motor and the varispeed pulley had been disassembled prior in its life. The motor shaft was actually beyond the plane of the base sides and touching the base cover. The shaper belts as purchased would knock terribly at anything other than slow speeds.

Here are the pics of the pulley.

Questions:

Are all the parts there ? Anything missing ?

The recess on one side of the pulley matches the recess in the shaft support arm.

Does a spacer go there to keep the pulley from riding against the support arm surface ?

The recess was actually on the outside as purchased and would allow the hole assembly to rock side to side on the shaft as speed were increased. The inner sheave center now floats completely within the outer two sheaves just fine.

I do have a copy of the Logan 8 Inch Shaper Parts Manual but it only shows the complete pulley assemble. Pic shown.

Comments and Thoughts are Welcome

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Logan8VarispeedPulley.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Logan8VarispeedPulley.jpg

I had a Porter Cable 7" and also did a pretty major rebuild on it - but, it was some time ago. Aside from removing, cleaning, and replacing the vari-speed, I just dont remember how it went. Your pics seem to be complete?

I took lots of pics and went back thru them to see if I may have captured something you might could use and found one possible -- I've since sold it so no help in checking it.. Heres a link to my photo bucket with some more of it...

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/Porter Cable shaper/

Mine had been painted rather crappily with rattle can black (ebay paint job) and had lots of wear. The (rather ugly) green was the original color from PC. Had no belt cover, and like you I reached out to the web and found the dimensions of it and cast my own.

If you havent located all the shaper sites, I can send you a link to the ones I have - maybe 3-4

Bill Pace - pm me if you think it'll help

Porter004.jpg

Porter004.jpg

Bill
Thanks for the photo and your help. Its the closest I seen yet of the same model drive that the Logan has. I just might turn a bushing and place a 1/16 bronse washer to space the pulley away from the support housing and see how it operates.
Thanks Again

Back