Long Chang LC-30A mill resto

You mean you don't have a 3D replicator?

You have a file? A drill? A 3/8x16 tap?

Or you could take a carriage bolt and shape the head by hand to fit your slots and then use a regular nut on the other end to hold the vise down while you make a T nut.
All excellent ideas. Sadly the only carriage bolts I had were 4" long and only threaded on the last inch :rolleyes:

I'm assuming you have stuff on order but if you don't want to wait it's really easy to make T-slot bolts on the lathe like the example below. If you don't want to single point the threads use a die. The flats you can just grind to size. This will get you by then with the vise mounted you can make proper T-nuts if that was your original plan.

Same method to make T-nuts on the lathe, just thread a hole instead of making a stud. The step can be round. Would need a threaded stud or bolt though of course. Keep in mind if you do use a bolt instead of a stead, be sure the length of the bolt is not too long & doesnxt bottom out on the table when tightened down, othewise bad things can happen!

I actually just made something similar yesterday but without the step.

20200229_185416.jpg

I have to dissasemble and move my rong fu 30 on monday. A little nervous but what metric wrench size do I need to seperate the column from the base and what wrench to remove the pulley from the spindle on the top of the machine?

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-03-19-11-06-22.png
    Capture+_2020-03-19-11-06-22.png
    841 KB · Views: 24
  • Capture+_2020-03-19-11-06-41.png
    Capture+_2020-03-19-11-06-41.png
    792.7 KB · Views: 28
I’d take a set of metric wrenches and or sockets. No need to pull the pulley to move it.

I dropped the motor which is a solid 40lbs.
I set the spindle down on the table and unbolted the column.
I walked it down a ramp and let it sit while I fussed with the rest.

If you have access to an engine hoist it’s far easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to dissasemble and move my rong fu 30 on monday. A little nervous but what metric wrench size do I need to seperate the column from the base and what wrench to remove the pulley from the spindle on the top of the machine?

The bolts on my base are 23mm. As Dave said, no need to remove the pulley but that top nut measures around 2-1/8", flat to flat.

Big crescent wrench, metric and standard wrenches up to 19mm and 3/4", metric and standard hex wrenches and the most important part, snap ring pliers to take the split rings off the lead screws. An assortment of screw drivers, big to just larger than precision size. Mostly for bending tabs on nut keepers and disconnecting electrical components.
I’d take a set of metric wrenches and or sockets. No need to pull the pulley to move it.

Mine is a little bigger than an RF 30. 650 pounds or so they say. I took the motor off and disconnected the electrical connections after taking a picture of them. Not sure if the RF30 is comparably wired but my mill has 3 bars of connectors and there was no way I was going to get it right without a picture. Then removed the spindle casting from the head. As I understand it the RF30 is a single casting and that is likely the heaviest piece. I had it broke down into as small of components as I could manage in 1.5 hours in a gravel parking lot, while a storm was coming and it was getting dark. Loaded it up in my compact suv and went down the road.

Did the same with the lathe except no rain, was 100* and I was in the sun. Fun times.

Last edited:

Do you think I could pull the head up off the top of the column without removing the pulley above the spindle? But I would remove the spindle and motor.

Do you think I could pull the head up off the top of the column without removing the pulley above the spindle? But I would remove the spindle and motor.
Hi Mike,
Even without the spindle the head weighs every bit of 100 lbs and you have to lift it over the top of the column.
Unless the mill is on the ground and you have tall, strong friends or a hoist to lift it over the height of the column I do not believe one person could safely remove the head from the column.
I'd give this article a read. It was the inspiration for moving mine. I should also point out that gravity helped me. Every thing came out of my truck down a ramp. Without a hoist there's no way I could have lifted anything more than an inch or two off the ground without injury.
Be safe as the parts are very heavy and injury is easy if not very careful.

Last edited:
Back