Long tail mud motor

blacksmithden

Active User
Registered
Well, I've been wanting to build a long tail mud motor for a few years now for running our shallow prairie rivers in my flat back canoes. This week, I got a 6.5hp Honda engine off a buy and sell site for $60.00. It would only run on full choke, and it looks pretty rough. 1.5hrs of cleaning the carb and tank, and I had it running like new. Today I made up the face plate that mounts to the side of the engine, and the shaft coupler. Here's a pic. I've promised myself that I'd take pictures along the way to post on here for you guys to look at. I also wanted to keep a running total of the cost. The coupler and face plate were made up from bits of scrap I've picked up here and there, and the bolts and set screws I had laying around from 30 years of being a professional mechanic/millwright. I'm not counting my time into it because this is a hobby, and I'm building it to use myself. :)

So far - $60.00 :)

20140726_222242_zpss1rstsha.jpg

Looking good. I appreciate folks that have the time and dedication to document a project through completion.

Can't wait to follow along and watch it progress.

I will be watching this one, as its on the project list.

Jake Parker

I'm also interested in seeing your progress because I've thought about trying this too. Looking great so far!

GG

Back