LONG TIME MODELER GETS THE LATHE BUG

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
the old man was a long time model engine collector and had over 1200 in the day, everything from a simple red head mccoy to a 5 cylinder radial four stroker and anything inbetween, He passed in 2005 RIP and worked at boeing 43 years right before pearl. Anyway I learned alot
from the old fart and to this day am still modeling everything from Ucontrol RC and now rubber freeflight, the sickness lives on :cool:

what you see below is called a u-control RINGMASTER, thier were thousands of these built and still going strong.

Attachments

• 100_3234.JPG
    100_3234.JPG
    722.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I'm a lifelong rc airplane modeler. I always have a few projects going on. Scratch built a pattern plane (Blue Angel) a few years ago, took me 5 years or more. Now 3 years deep into a 1/3 scale Piper Cub.

Attachments

• BA2.jpg
    BA2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Cub progress 2-15-21.jpg
    Cub progress 2-15-21.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
OMG I’d not seen a Ringmaster in 45yrs! My brother an I were into control line until cars and girls hit then we didnt have the time or $$ after that.

time to get fired up again lots of info out there.........heres something I threw together back in the 80s
In the middle a model called a Goldberg Buster,and the last pic is a flitestreak JR all 3 were scratch built.............just try and find a buster today and some idiots will try and rape ya for $100 BS!!!!! if you have the skills always try and scratch build, thiers alotta full size plans out thier.

Attachments

• 100_3404.JPG
    100_3404.JPG
    492.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3285.JPG
    100_3285.JPG
    651.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3127.JPG
    100_3127.JPG
    454.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I was the builder/mech and my brother was the combat pilot. We went to many big meets, most of them in the BayArea in the late 60's. The hot ticket was a Sneaker or lesser so the venerable Voodoo. Our main engines were SuperTigre and Johnson's. But then came the K&B Torpedo and holy cow, hold on to your shorts! That Torpedo on a Sneaker would do 120mph actual. I couldn't fly it, as I could never think ahead of it. My brother could and did. And clean guys clocks much older than him. Until at a meet that was on asphalt he had gotten like 10 cuts on this guy and he lost control and augered in and as he was leaving the circle reached up and pulled my brother's down line and that was all she wrote :(

... and he lost control and augered in and as he was leaving the circle reached up and pulled my brother's down line and that was all she wrote :(
Really? Purposely crashing your brother's plane because he lost fair and square? That's pretty low.

Last edited:
I'm closely involved (though not flying) with Rubber Band aircraft. I'm Volare's production facility. I make props, both freewheel and folders, and lots of fiddly little hardware, nose bushings, clutches, etc. I'm currently involved in a batch of 13 1/2" Gollywock props.

I'm closely involved (though not flying) with Rubber Band aircraft. I'm Volare's production facility. I make props, both freewheel and folders, and lots of fiddly little hardware, nose bushings, clutches, etc. I'm currently involved in a batch of 13 1/2" Gollywock props.
few yrs ago I bought 2 18in. folders and wasnt impressed, props were fine the tin they used was flimsy and would bend if ya looked at it wrong, that part needed to be brass, maybe they were being cheap

Last edited:
I was the builder/mech and my brother was the combat pilot. We went to many big meets, most of them in the BayArea in the late 60's. The hot ticket was a Sneaker or lesser so the venerable Voodoo. Our main engines were SuperTigre and Johnson's. But then came the K&B Torpedo and holy cow, hold on to your shorts! That Torpedo on a Sneaker would do 120mph actual. I couldn't fly it, as I could never think ahead of it. My brother could and did. And clean guys clocks much older than him. Until at a meet that was on asphalt he had gotten like 10 cuts on this guy and he lost control and augered in and as he was leaving the circle reached up and pulled my brother's down line and that was all she wrote :(
yes am familiar with all those motors and more........I flew AMA combat couple times but was too crazy!!!! you outta see the combat mills they got out now!!!!!!!

Really? Purposely crashing your brother's plane because he lost fair and square? That's pretty low.
Yup, I’m not exaggerating. We all looked at the judges and they didn’t see it, only looked up when his plane smacked the asphalt and literally exploded into dust and the engine and mount skidded away. My brother was 12yrld, I was 14. Our friend that drove us was 20 and he and another guy from our club went over and contested it but the judges said they didn’t see it. You see a side of some guys when they are being bested by a kid that is not at all sportsman like. We didn’t have much $$ as kids and it took a long time to save up to buy that Torpedo 35. So we were pretty much out of the game after that because it bent the crank and mangled the case. Combat was brutal as guys would step on your foot or step in front of you and get lines tangled etc. They were all teenagers or older. Even though he didn’t get another flight my brother won 3rd place. Ah, the good old days...

Back