Look at this!!

O1 tool steel. 2" face mill. One pass, doc .015".
I laughed when the work piece crest the rear side of the cutter and I could see how shiny it was. Lol.

Tight! Nice also.
Wish I could manage that.

Ok, let the secret out. What face mill? What type of cutters? Just how? LOL

This face mill was the only tool I paid good money for. It was about $250 Canadian. But the arbor is cheap Chinese.
IMG_20180220_233437.jpgIMG_20180220_233425.jpgIMG_20180220_233337.jpgIMG_20180220_233316.jpgIMG_20180220_233309.jpg

Thank you for the info Rexth. (That name makes me laugh every time I see you post BTW :)

I was looking at a similar one and the next paycheck I may have to get one. Lathe Inserts Face mills

I talked to the guy that owns that place and he had high praise for the FMA11 ones. I see yours is an FMA02, but I don't know if that is a brand or a type.

I think it's the type. The brand is the zcc-ct. Supposed to be high quality chinese. (I'd say it was pretty high quality)
I wanted to order American, Thai, or Japanese, but man, the prices are outta this world for high quality tools. Can't justify it for hobby. This mill does great, as you saw. I didn't even want to surface grind it and ruin that shiny, lol. But I may have to cause I stoned the burrs and scratched it all up.

I ordered it via local wholesaler.
From here.
https://kar.ca/fma02-050-a0-75-se12-16.html

I laughed pretty hard too when I first found that picture. I said it out loud and giggled. I have a bunch of little meme pics like that. My electrical wholesaler, Greg, and I, sometimes spend a day emailing funny pictures back and forth. Lightens the day.

Maybe someone more knowledgable can chime in, what gives it that mirror finish? Just typical of a steep insert and it's radius? Burnishing while it cuts? Or the angle of attack? 45 deg insert. Pretty extreme angle.
Once all 3 inserts engage the mill runs quieter than with no load. It's incredible. That said, louder than the apocalypse then only 2 inserts cutting. Lol. There is some backlash on my gears/belts/pulleys that get pretty noisy/clunky with interupted cuts (Bridgeport clone)

After reading about the superior finish that Tormach's Superfly gives, I took a look at the insert. There appears to be a small 45º chamfer on the leading edge.
I use 1/2" lathe brazed carbide bits for my old R8 facing tool and have always had less than perfect surfaces. I put a 45º chamfer on the leading edge of the bits and the surface finish improved immensely.

I use a diamond disk from HF, https://www.harborfreight.com/repla...-volt-circular-saw-blade-sharpener-98862.html mounted on a 1/15 hp 3250 rpm motor for grinding my carbide tooling and a diamond pocket hone for honing.

The chamfer is only about .1" wide. I also put a very small radius at each of the "sharps", maybe .005 to .01".

Keeping the cutting edge sharp is also a requirement. Carbide tends to develop small chips on the edges due to its brittle nature and interrupted cuts.

Back