Look out below; another tumbles down the rabbit hole

RandyWilson

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For some six or eight years now I've been watching the state of the hobbyist 3D printers... to always come to the conclusion that we aren't QUITE there yet. Then ToT comes out with a 3D video in the middle of a Maho rebuild... and daaaaammmmmnnnn. We're there. Well geeez, close anyway. So I start digging. And digging. The first lesson was any information more than 6 months old is hopelessly obsolete. The second lesson is, all roads point to Prusa. Every way I examined it, the Prusa seemed to be on top. Except price, but that wasn't a deal breaker.

So a few minutes ago I gave in and smacked the BUY button. On a Creality Ender 5 Pro. It's half the cost, not counting the current $40 off coupon. But that wasn't the deciding factor. I can have the Ender in two days, where the mk3S would be 6-8 weeks out of Prague.

Congrats Randy!

Yep deep rabbit hole.........welcome in.......

-brino

you'll be impressed by the Ender5.
i purchased and ender3 first and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, since getting the ender5.

Very nice. That looks like a very nice unit. I worked as an estimator in Boeing's Additive Manufacturing group for about a year with the engineers. We had some pretty fancy unit running test programs in at least 15 machines. Love going down to the lab where the metal printing machines are.

I can see the advantage of the composite 3D printer in the shop. I have had a buddy print several fixtures for me for some special projects. Seems like the perfect addition to the machine shop.

The Prusa are pretty good. Co worker has one and in discussions, he said to buy the preassembled one. No real savings to buy it broken down.
Make yourself a dry box to keep humidity away from the filament and to make sure that the new spools are dried out. Either use a low temperature heater and/or desiccant packs in a sealed box.
Pierre

Welcome to the rabbit hole. It is a deep hole for sure, I still have not hit bottom.

I've been in the same place, and also been debating an Ender or Prusa for the past year.

I ordered a Prusa 3 in August. The delay in receiving it wasn't a big deal to me since I probably won't have a place to set it up ready for a bit.

Love my Prusa but have heard the Ender 5 is good too.
I have found sooooo many uses for mine over the past two years. Just in the last week I designed and printed up some automobile phone holders for an upcoming trip. I just was not happy with the ones that were available. They work pretty good but the beauty of it is they need to be tweaked a little so re-design and reprint. Easy!

I'm still wandering around in the rabbit hole. I cruised by the auto bed leveling, custom firmware compiling. Then I was poking around Blender and Cura when I must have made a wrong turn. All I see right now are pies... bunches and bunches of Raspberry Pi.

I'm still wandering around in the rabbit hole. I cruised by the auto bed leveling, custom firmware compiling. Then I was poking around Blender and Cura when I must have made a wrong turn. All I see right now are pies... bunches and bunches of Raspberry Pi.

So many possibilities. So little time.

Back