Look what followed me home.

I will get a better look at it today. It was at my work and we had a safety audit on the machine shops. This time they audited all of the lathes not just the ones in the classroom labs for the students, so there was 4 being used by the tool room lab techs. Any lathe that does not have a shield with a shut down for the chuck had to be either converted or scrapped. This one was listed for disposal as the engineering estimate on the shield and shut down was over 3k. There was another one as well but it was much larger, I did not get to see the larger one. Newer ones that have a manufactures kit available are being converted to meet the safety requirements. It is not just a matter of making a shield and a switch work either they have to have safety certification and that's where most of the cost would have come in. It was a a take it now kind of deal, so I jumped on it. I do have experience with vfd's. So I will for sure be going that route in the coming months.

I had to change careers here last year and move to Calgary. I was very hesitant to do it, loss of wage, extra costs, and moving. But it has likely been one of the best things I have ever committed to, saying I do is on top of course. We still have our other house and my daughter is living in it. So I have my things spread between the two. Separated by about a 3hr drive. I will get some more pics up this morning as I get a chance to look in to the lathe more, it also came with some other tooling so I will look at that.
nice to hear that the change of careers is a breath of fresh air to you.

safety is a noble cause, but sometimes it goes too far. getting a certification for adding what should be a basic change is in my humble opinion BS.

I'm sure you're aware that Dabbler is your neighbor , ( as well as my son ) and congrats on the lathe . Looks like a keeper . :)

Nice piece of kit. Looks in great shape!

At 1/2 HP, you can get a VFD that will run the motor at 208V while plugged into a 120V circuit. The Teco L510-1P5-H1-U is one such model, others exist. (Note that you should be sure that the VFD is rated for sufficient amperage, not just HP.)

Last edited:
With the quick change gear box, you have all the commonly used feeds and speeds for inch measurement work. To do metric threads, change gears will be needed, but the banjo is there for the 120/127 gear, and I'm sure that somewhere on the internet someone has documented how to accomplish metric threading on that lathe.

I picked this up yesterday. Its 3 phase so I will have to get a motor or a single to three phase vfd. I'm super happy to have it. I have sieg clone 9x20 and this standard modern is amazing when it come to quality difference. Ultilathe under standard modern here in Canada. Not sure of the year. says 9inch and in the online lit I can find 22-1/2 inches between centers. It looks to be from the 60's. I could be wrong. Was in a tech shop for more then 10 years maybe used a couple times other then that its in great shape. If anyone can share any info they might have on this lathe. I do have the 20 page manual from the standard modern website. But I have not found much else. View attachment 486456View attachment 486457View attachment 486458
Wish I could run across a machine as pristine as that. Nice find

I want to know about your Camaro there. 71?

Oh the lathe is cool for sure.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back