Look what showed up in my shop!

I use a univise on my surface grinder to sharpen HSS. You can grind really precise angles.

Sweet univise, what does the red tag say on the table?

In the last photo, those are not annular cutters, they are drive-in concrete anchors. You drill the appropriate size hole in concrete, insert the little red cone into the split end of the insert and drive the assembly into the concrete. You now have threads to anchor something to the concrete.

Ted

PS- Those are actually designed to be self-drilling anchors. I never had good results using the anchor to drill the hole. Always used a Rotohammer with masonry bits.

Last edited:
Sweet univise, what does the red tag say on the table?
"Rockwell Manufacturing....Made in the United States of America" If you zoom in on the photo, you

In the last photo, those are not annular cutters, they are drive-in concrete anchors. You drill the appropriate size hole in concrete, insert the little red cone into the split end of the insert and drive the assembly into the concrete. You now have threads to anchor something to the concrete.

Ted

PS- Those are actually designed to be self-drilling anchors. I never had good results using the anchor to drill the hole. Always used a Rotohammer with masonry bits.
Thanks for the education. Never heard of those.

Regards

The oil pump is fixed! It was quite an exercise in machining (for me, at least), but I'm happy to report it is now working properly on all four ports. Here's a description and pictorial of the repair:

As I had noted in an earlier post, the manifold block has four lines coming out of it but only three were pumping oil. In order to figure out what was wrong, it was necessary to remove the block. I was able to do that without removing the copper tubing. That's a good thing because they are soldered into the block. The two slotted inserts are actually regulator pins - not screws. When vertical, a port is open that allows fluid transfer. When horizontal, the port is closed. The one on the left controls the left pair, and the one on the right controls the right pair. The left pin appears to be damaged - it wobbles in the hole and can easily be pushed in and out by hand. The protrusion on the bottom fits into the pump and feeds into the block. It is also very loose and can easily be inserted and removed by hand with no effort at all. It's a curiosity to me that under these conditions, three of the four ports were working.
IMG_0647.jpg

The left pair of tubes lubricates the rocker arm shoe assembly and the right ways, in that order. The right pair lubricates the left ways and the bull gear. The second tube from the left (the one for the right ways) would not push fluid through at all. I used weld wire and everything at my disposal to open it up, but it became clear that the problem was not in the tube - it was in the block itself. After much head scratching and deliberation, it seemed to me the easiest fix would be to make a new block. I started with a piece of aluminum milled to 1 1/2" x 1" x 5/8", drilled four vertical holes exactly 5/8" deep, and then a lateral hole 9/16", stopping just after the fourth vertical hole. All these holes are 1/8" diameter. The result is all four vertical ports are connected across the bottom by the lateral hole. I milled the lateral opening to a 1/4" diameter about a 1/4" deep so that I could plug the opening. On the bottom side, I milled a hole that holds the part fitting into the pump (1/4" OD - 1/8" ID). It is exactly centered and is deep enough to engage the lateral hole, thereby feeding all four ports. I did not see any advantage to adding the regulator pins. If I designed it correctly, all four ports should be receiving equal pressure. If that logic was wrong, it would be an easy matter to remove and a drill and tap for a small set screw on each port. Time would tell.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpgIMG_0653.jpg

Final step was to clean up the block and add the tubing. I epoxied the new tubing to the block and let it sit overnight.

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0657.jpgIMG_0658.jpg

First thing this morning, I mounted the assembly in the shaper WITHOUT connecting any of the tubes. Turned it on and all four ports were pushing oil. I routed and connected the tubing, and I'm happy to say everything is working as it should.

This project is now complete, and a BIG THANKS to all who offered sage advice on the various steps in getting this fine machine operational. Only thing left to do is figure out how to use it.

Thanks to all for following the thread.

Regards,
Terry

P.S.: I have a video of the ports pushing oil, but I'll need to re-educate myself on how to post it.

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 10
very cool - that's some neat detective and fab work there.

Reactions: tjb
Back