Looking a this nice South Bend Lathe - anyone in the area?

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
I'm just getting into this - been looking for weeks without success. Started looking out of state - and came across this one, it looks like it's been well cared for and it's in my price range.

I'm far away but would be willing to ship it home if it's as good in real life but I don't wanna buy it sight unseen. If you're in the area and would be willing to take a look for me and give me your opinion I would be grateful.

Very pretty. Definitely on the high end price-wise for a 9, but depending on the ways and spindle condition it might be worth it. Maybe @matthewsx can take a look.

From the photos it almost looks like the ways have been hand-scraped... it also comes with a good number of tools. Price is high, I agree but so is the price of others in the same category that I've been looking at high and wide. Not sure why they are so spendy now that I'm seriously looking...

From the photos it almost looks like the ways have been hand-scraped... it also comes with a good number of tools. Price is high, I agree but so is the price of others in the same category that I've been looking at high and wide. Not sure why they are so spendy now that I'm seriously looking...
That lathe would have come from the factory with flaked ways. It appears that the flaking is worn off close to the chuck, which is common. How much wear is the real question. The real appeal of the 9 in. South Bends for hobbyists is the weight. They can be moved by 2 people with a minimum of equipment. The South Bend name also carries brand name recognition among people interested in a lathe of that size. My Heavy 10L weighs in at about 1000 lbs., more than twice the weight of a bench mount 9. For reference, it has every available option except the steady rest and, while not pretty, has very little wear. I would price it at $2500 if I was selling it.

it is pricey, but it is coming with a lot of extras included.
it has been repainted. that can be good or bad. it may have had a good rebuild, on the other hand there may be cracks that it is hiding.
sorry to play devils advocate.
ask what kind of rebuild was done. If they took it all apart and cleaned and replaced good.
if just a painting... meh. that devalues it in my book.

I see he replaced a bunch so I am thinking he may have done a good rebuild.
the flaking appears to be original. This is a later model unit as you can tell by the clamps on the head.. the bolts are socket head..

I think that unit is flame hardened ways.
it comes with wrenches, 2 chucks, collet draw bar , quick change toolpost.
the only thing negative... no collets, no holders for the qctp, and no tooling. see if he will throw some of that in.

And see if you can get him down a little.
good luck.

Here is much more lathe and closer for the same price.

1633624372836.png

the flaking appears to be original. This is a later model unit as you can tell by the clamps on the head.. the bolts are socket head..

I think that unit is flame hardened ways.
I believe hardened ways were ground but not flaked. At least that's how my Heavy 10 is.

Meant to reply earlier but didn't hit send.....

Yes, I work in Scotts Valley. That one's been listed for a while so probably they're a little proud if it.

PM me if you contact them and want me to take a look.

John

Back