Looking a this nice South Bend Lathe - anyone in the area?

Once you get done with freight you'll be well over what it should cost. My vote is always for finding used equipment nearby so you can inspect and move it yourself.

I think the older Taiwan lathes are an excellent value, I have one now that I paid $850 for. They are very similar in construction and operation to the South Bends but don't command the premium pricing that they do.

Yes, Craigslist can be a c***shoot but if you connect with someone honest they are just as happy about it as you are.

John

I think the older Taiwan lathes are an excellent value, I have one now that I paid $850 for. They are very similar in construction and operation to the South Bends but don't command the premium pricing that they do.
Score... Nowdays they are asking $1,200 and up for rusty broken ones around here...

I know this search will require patience and restraint...

There you go.... the guy just responded back to me (Taiwan lathe) to tell me that it already sold this morning.... to his credit, at least he responded.

I can have a pick of milling machines in any size and price range... the CL is full of those so it seems - but here I am looking for something that everyone else seems to want also....

Last edited:
FYI the flaked ways are not hardened, the hardened ones are smooth with no flaking IIRC
-M

I don't think that is a bad price.
Read that ad again it comes with alot of good stuff and the machine appears to be in good shape.
If it were me I would take a road trip to inspect and possibly buy it.
Face to face with cash in hand is the time to negotiate.

I'm willing to bet the South Bend isn't as pristine as it might appear at first blush. The paint is almost flawless, however the non painted parts and the legend plate show a "patina" that comes from many years of use Even the locating holes in the quick change gear box show fresh paint. It wouldn't take more than a couple gear changes to show wear marks or scratches in that area.

There also appears to be flaking on the front way along side the headstock. There doesn't appear to be any where the carriage moves. I'm not sure flaking is a common practice on lathe bed ways. You might ask Richard King. My understanding is flaking is supposed to lightly interrupt a smooth surface to hold oil for lubrication. On lathe bed ways it will also hold grit and swarf which will cause wear on the ways and saddle.

I am definitely jealous of the great deals which can be found in areas which were previously "industrial". Where I live, there is no history of much machining industry, and as a consequence, there are very few pieces of shop equipment for sale. When it is for sale locally, you can typically add about 20 to 60 percent to the price it would be found in other regions. It was the reason why I went with New equipment on my lathe and mill. I did find a Rong Fu mill for sale locally once, at a higher than normal price. From the pictures, it had been set up next to their grinding stations in their shop, and the flaking on the surfaces were largely obliterated. All that said, it still sold in about one week.

The older SB lathes had flaked beds - I know as mine still has it next to the headstock and all the way at the other end of the bed

Back