Looking at a 9 inch SB Workshop ?

cross thread

Registered
Registered
Hi , I'm new to SB's . The one I'm looking at (I don't know what I'm looking at) seems to be a basic model . That's fine with me , the number on it is 58808 . One thing I'm wondering about is the tail stock , one's I have seen so far are solid this one is not . Please help me with some knowledge about this machine .
Thanks , Mark .
1632500450282.png
1632504128373.png
1632504172732.png
1632504242577.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Tom . What I meant by solid and not solid was in between the tighten nut and the quill . I put some more pics .
Thanks , Mark .

if you haven't bought that unit yet, see if you can locate one with a quick change gear box... you'll appreciate the advantage.
Also I don't think that has auto crossfeed .. might be too early.

looks in great shape though.. I would put oilers and replace the gitz on the spindle..
yes, my tail stock is solid, but it's 1936-1943 era.

In looking through my South Bend "how to Run a Lathe" book, edition of 1935, all the illustrations show machines with the back side of the tailstock walled in; its a mystery.

Something looks funny about how the two sections of the tailstock fit together -- the top has a noticeable overhang as if it's from a slightly bigger tailstock. Possible the part that fits the v-ways is original SB but someone had to marry it up with a different top section from a different machine?

-frank

That is a very early Workshop, the Model 5 according to Tonylathes.
Basically a 9”C, before SB started the A,B,C designation.
If price is right buy it. Hopefully it has change gears.
Then clean all the rust off of it. And enjoy it.
I’ve had a ‘38 SB9 just like it, for almost 40 yrs, I use it often.
Cheers, Harvey

What I don't see

A threading dial
change gears
drive belt
motor
motor mount

What I do see

Fairly heavy rust notably on the tail stock quill but on the ways also

Personally I would let it pass.

What I don't see

A threading dial
change gears
drive belt
motor
motor mount

What I do see

Fairly heavy rust notably on the tail stock quill but on the ways also

Personally I would let it pass.

I don't think the rust is a problem, it will clean off easily... some evapo rust and scotch brite, and a lot of elbow grease.

the change gears are critical. motor not so much... Clearly I see the drive in the first picture to the bottom right. I don't know if a motor is attached.
belt... not important, you have to take it apart no matter what. I would put a serpentine belt on it. I 've had one on for years, I just had to flip it over this year, as it started walking, so I put the flat side to the pulleys.

Back