Looking At A Heavy 10 - Feed Issues/questions

kf4zht

Registered
Registered
Looking at a decent condition Heavy 10 locally. Price is pretty good for this area

They put up a video of it running under power. Could of things the noted and I saw.

1. Half nut and manual feed work, but the cross feed doesn't. Looking at the parts i would guess this is a clutch issue or the gears are damaged. Anyone seen this and know what may be the issue. I can't remember if the non half nut feed worked.

2. Gears are pretty noisy. I looked over all that I could without tearing the machine apart and saw no chipped teeth. It sounds like loose meshing. Is this adjustable or is it a sign if something wearing out.

3. Finally there is a chunk missing of the main casting directly below the front motor door. It looks like it was painted a long time ago and isn't spreading. Is this any cause for concern?

This machine sounds like it is pretty worn. It seems like almost all of these machines that have been used a lot will have some gear noise. Mine makes a little gear noise but it's not horrible and doesn't make me want to machine and reserve the gears yet, heck it will probably outlive me. Feed issue could be something simple as a sheared pin, broken gear tooth, etc. Parts can be found for these lathes. I see complete apron assemblies on ebay from time to timenjoy. Other than cosmetics the base casting wouldn't really concerned me. But this lathe really doesn't sound like it was well cared for and is probably just a good candidate for parting out. If the gears are that noisy and things don't work it makes me wonder what the ways are like and their mating surfaces. JMO.

This machine sounds like it is pretty worn. It seems like almost all of these machines that have been used a lot will have some gear noise. Mine makes a little gear noise but it's not horrible and doesn't make me want to machine and reserve the gears yet, heck it will probably outlive me. Feed issue could be something simple as a sheared pin, broken gear tooth, etc. Parts can be found for these lathes. I see complete apron assemblies on ebay from time to timenjoy. Other than cosmetics the base casting wouldn't really concerned me. But this lathe really doesn't sound like it was well cared for and is probably just a good candidate for parting out. If the gears are that noisy and things don't work it makes me wonder what the ways are like and their mating surfaces. JMO.

When I looked at it the ways didnt seem in that bad of shape. The carriage moved smoothly, no sticks or jumps. There are there the normal nicks directly under the chuck that seem to be present on all but the most babied lathes. The spindle had no play that I could feel. The belt was older but not that well worn. The taper attachment seems unused.

When I looked at it the ways didnt seem in that bad of shape. The carriage moved smoothly, no sticks or jumps. There are there the normal nicks directly under the chuck that seem to be present on all but the most babied lathes. The spindle had no play that I could feel. The belt was older but not that well worn. The taper attachment seems unused.

Brother it's your call, ways can only be checked for wear acurately with a dial indicator, a quick check is to tighten the bolts that hold the Sadler on underneath the saddle in the rear, run the saddle back and forth by hand and see if it binds excessively. What's the asking price? But some of hat you described in your first post did not sound good, unless you have no problem with doing a bunch of repairs and or making parts. Just trying to give you things to think about.

Back