Looking at a PM 1236T, but only have 110v available.

bigbene

Registered
Registered
Is this crazy? A VFD can take 110 to 3ph 220 and drive the motor, but then I still need to power the rest of the machine.

Anyone done this?

Yeah it can be done. I did my surface grinder in that configuration. 110 has its limits to the size of motor. I think 3hp is the largest could be wrong though on size. Once you have 110 in the box you can split before the vfd and power the other essentials.

Typical name brand VFD's that allow 120VAC single phase in and generate 240VAC 3 phase max out at 1.5Hp and would require a 30A breaker which is probably a deal breaker. The 1236T is a 1.5 Hp motor. Most manufactures only offer 1.0Hp VFDs that will run off of 120 VAC. Step-up transformer is probably not a practical approach at this level.

I hate to say it, but just bite the bullet and run some 240VAC. You have it in your house and once it is in the shop you'll be able to use it for a lot of stuff.

I agree, take the time to run a 220v line. It's not very had to do and not very expensive either. I have one 220v line in my garage and I use it for my welder and lathe and soon my mill too! Prolly cost less than a $100 to run 40ft and took ~2hrs.

I just ran 220v to my cnc mill, did it with 4 wires so I could also power a 110v plug too. It's a pretty simple thing to do but if you're hesitant go ahead and hire an electrician to make it happen. Should be cheaper and easier than trying to modify the lathe.

John

Are you renting, or own your place? How far of a run is it from the service panel to the "shop"? If there is a dryer, and/or an electric stove you have 220v. A 100 amp service panel can provide 220v. If you are going to get in with the 220v equipment some licenced electricians freelance, and may be an option.

Getting 220 isn't going to be easy. I rent, the garage is detached and the power to the garage is run under the driveway. The house has 220, but this wouldn't be a cheap project.

Bummer, another possibility is to have a 220v extension cord made rated for the length of the run, providing there is access to the house 220v outlet. I have extension cords for my welders, I don't think the lathe has a big amp draw.

Check out ebay they have vfd's that go up to 3hp with 110 input fairly cheap too.

Back