Looking at a Sherline 5400 mill with accessories

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
Looking for a bench-top hobby mill to complement my Jet lathe. Came across this one here - looks well equipped, frankly I don't know what some of the accessories are for (that black indexed rotary item with a plug?!).

Don't see a fly cutter in there - that's about the only thing extra that I would like to have and the vise is probably aluminum, not steel. Given the tools/accessories lot (assuming it was a kit purchase, since they are all Sherline) - wondering what a good offer price would be for the lot. Was thinking offering $1,300-1400 for it. Would that be fair? I don't wanna overpay but also don't want to short change the seller.

I should add that I have a number of end mills that my dad left me from a Bridgeport - I would like to make use of them - buy and adapter if necessary.

This is a no-frills 5400 with the Sherline DRO on it. The blue drawer contains a drill chuck, boring head and what looks to be the inserted carbide fly cutter (one of the best tools Sherline sells). It has a Sherline vise mounted on a indexable base, a tilting angle table with a rotary table holding a 4 jaw mounted on it. That assembly is worth about $500 all by itself.

Nowadays, just the mill alone, brand new, is about $850 but this one is used so it is worth closer to $500. Add in all the rest, which isn't that much, and I think you're looking at maybe $800-900 as a fair offer. Of course, the seller will know what he paid and will expect more but that is up to you to haggle on. I think going over $1,100.00 on this would be high.

That's a riser block. It spaces the headstock a little further away from the column to give you more room in Y. There are times when that space determines whether you can do something or not.

He has some lathe parts in there too. I see a tailstock riser block and the handle for the thread cutting handwheel.

Eric

I'm thinking he has over $2400 worth of tools there if you were to pay full retail. Not a bad deal IMHO. Just the mill with DRO and a drill chuck is $1216 new retail.

Eric

Last edited:
Here's one that's been on Charlotte CL for a couple weeks for $900:
Not sure what one will do with the giant jack screw.
1648217809275.png1648217831653.png

Here's one that's been on Charlotte CL for a couple weeks for $900:
Not sure what one will do with the giant jack screw.
View attachment 401720View attachment 401721

You see, this is a realistic deal and I would jump on this one.

Back