Looking at a Sherline 5400 mill with accessories

You see, this is a realistic deal and I would jump on this one.
But that one's just a 5000. If you then need the additional tooling it will end up about the same cost or more and you'll still have the smallest work envelope Sherline offers.

Didn't notice that. Thought it was a 5400. Still, you can upgrade it fairly cheaply.

I bought a nearly new 5400 mill and long bed lathe with a pretty decent accessory package for $600 not that long ago. Cleaned up the rust, changed the spindle bearings to ABEC 3's and after the smoke cleared, had two new machines for under $1,000. Deals are still out there.

I'm thinking he has over $2400 worth of tools there if you were to pay full retail. Not a bad deal IMHO. Just the mill with DRO and a drill chuck is $1216 new retail.

Eric

Agree at least $2000, assuming from the photos of misc tooling this is a 5400 with DRO and the A package, that's $1500. Rotary table is $300, tilting table $120, 3.1" 4 jaw chuck $150, probably at least another $150-200 in smaller items like the riser block and fly cutter.

The issue I had when buying my Sherline (Taig as well), is it was hard finding a used one that saved me enough to make the possible headaches worth the risk vs buying new. Ultimately I bought new for that reason, plus I got exactly the set up I wanted.

I wouldn't say $1600 is an unreasonable asking price for what I can see, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets close to that (maybe $1300-1400) if he holds out. Personally that is more than I would have been willing to spend, I'm usually looking at 50-60% on used which would be more like $1000-1200. Still for someone on a tight budget saving a few hundred might be worth it.

Back