Looking at this Bridgeport that is FAR away

Lol I honestly don't have any room for any sort of mill. Every square inch of wall space in my ~500 sq ft garage is pretty much jam packed with "stuff" already... everything from plumbing, electrical, HVAC, automotive, welders and woodworking tools - and everything in between. I will conjure space out of thin air for a mill (and eventually a lathe) though. That was part of what I liked about that first machine - smaller table is kind of appealing.

As far as asking someone here to check it out for me, I am brand new here and I don't think I've earned enough "street credit" for that type of ask, but it was a great idea :)

PM orders these as imperial machines and these are just 2 of the offerings.... I bought a PM940V-PDF from them, I have done the used route a few times and I wanted something I could work with not on. There is setup so its not 100% nothing to do to them but its better as far as I am concerned...
Knee https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-739v-milling-machine-2/
Square Column https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-932v-milling-machine/

I actually started my journey looking at the PM-728VT bench mill, was pretty set on it, then read about lack of rigidity and accuracy issues, then moved up to the PM-833T bench mill, then read more of the same, and people expressing regret about not buying a knee mill to begin with.

I looked at some of the PM full size knee mills, but they are more than what I wanted to pay for an imported non-brand name machine. Their bench top knee mills don't *look* much more rigid than their larger bench mills (and appear to be made in China instead of Taiwan), but maybe I am missing something here - feel free to correct me. I've also heard people say that resale value isn't terribly good on the non-name-brand stuff in case I have regrets later.

That's when I figured that I might as well go back to what I started with 20 yrs ago, the Bridgeport, but obviously those machines are all 20 years older like I am. If my thought process is flawed here, feel free to set me straight... Most of the machining I will be doing will be on relatively small parts - a mix of steel, aluminum, brass and plastic... maybe a bench mill is rigid enough? I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment and lose my shirt if what I buy ends up not being "enough machine".

I actually started my journey looking at the PM-728VT bench mill, was pretty set on it, then read about lack of rigidity and accuracy issues, then moved up to the PM-833T bench mill, then read more of the same, and people expressing regret about not buying a knee mill to begin with.

I looked at some of the PM full size knee mills, but they are more than what I wanted to pay for an imported non-brand name machine. Their bench top knee mills don't *look* much more rigid than their larger bench mills (and appear to be made in China instead of Taiwan), but maybe I am missing something here - feel free to correct me. I've also heard people say that resale value isn't terribly good on the non-name-brand stuff in case I have regrets later.

That's when I figured that I might as well go back to what I started with 20 yrs ago, the Bridgeport, but obviously those machines are all 20 years older like I am. If my thought process is flawed here, feel free to set me straight... Most of the machining I will be doing will be on relatively small parts - a mix of steel, aluminum, brass and plastic... maybe a bench mill is rigid enough? I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment and lose my shirt if what I buy ends up not being "enough machine".
Joe,

Everyone has an opinion, I bought a PM940V-PFD and I have been happy with it, I paid short of 6K for it and I bought it with all options, it weighs about 1250 pounds on the floor and I have no rigidity issues but I also know Clough42 had one and sent it back, didn't like it, I know there is a fellow on this forum (goes by B2) who bought a PM940M-CNC and had many issues with it but he is using it and there are others here who have it that are fine with it. I can tell you that if you have an issue Precision Mathews will work to help you solve those issues. I cannot speak for the smaller mills, I do not own one of those, but I do know that if you buy a smaller lighter mill part of the rigidity equation is understanding the machines limitations, if you buy a mill the sits on a bench its not going to make as heavy cuts as a Bridgeport but it will do anything you want it to as long as your project fits within its work envelope, patients may be required though.

Would I like a Bridgeport? yeah if I could get a new or like new (not going to happen) would I like an American made machine? yeah but I do not have 30 to 40K. I am happy with the results of what I bought, its serviceable and with a few minor changes (personal preferences) it does what I need/want it to do. I have owned 3 Bridgeport type machines 2 were Bridgeport and one was a knockoff, all three looked great 2 were cream puffs and one turned out to be a train wreck.

I hope this helped, I hope I did not muddy the water more.
Be safe out there.... VW

Looks like MachineInventory and Leblondlathe.com are spamming your CL pretty heavily. If it has the phone #860-964-6549, avoid them. All part of the infamous Al Babin's operations.

You've probably seen this one, the only legit ad I found within 350 miles.

Looks like MachineInventory and Leblondlathe.com are spamming your CL pretty heavily. If it has the phone #860-964-6549, avoid them. All part of the infamous Al Babin's operations.

You've probably seen this one, the only legit ad I found within 350 miles.
WOW, my security software threw up flags and blocked your link, wonder what that is about.....

Someone trying to protect you from yourself?
2024-01-17_21-19-23.jpg

LOL it says web advertisements which usually means spammers.... since this is a work machine I usually heed the warning...

"Someone who cares about you has decided that you may not open this page."

Who might that be?

Can you open CL at all?

@joec2000 First, welcome aboard!

I think you are doing the right thing by looking at a knee mill. As others have pointed out, expanding your search to include other brands is good advice. I owned a PM833T and while it was "ok," it certainly did not have the rigidity. I ended up buying a Sharp LMV mill that I found on FB Marketplace. It was a HUGE step up in performance and rigidity and just made machining more enjoyable.

Back