Looking for a direction - Howa 6.5 Creedmoor barreled receiver

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello,
A few years ago I bought a barreled receiver from Brownell’s. ((Howa 1500?) rings a bell?
Fortunately I had it at work so I didn’t lose it in the fire.
I lost all my reloading equipment including the bullets, powder, dies, cases, primers etc to load for this chambering. I need to find a press.
What have others done with this platform?
I want to build a bench rifle. I don’t hunt anymor.
How is the accuracy? The trigger? The barrel? The action?
What stock would you use?
I think you get the idea.
Thanks,
This is a long term project.

The one I have. Heavy barrel in .223 is a very good shooter. Howa has a recall on older actions by serial number about owners putting bolt together wrong. Might want to check your serial number against their list. Factory barrels are good. Trigger better than some. Any good stable stock.

I like the Boyd thumb hole stocks. Looks great!
Now that’s a scope!

My Howa 1500 is a real tack driver. Quarter inch 100 yard groups capable. 308 heavy barrel. The trigger breaks like glass. In my opinion Howa is one of the best buys there is. The scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 X50mm FFP Mrad. Aluminum Scope caps by AADland Engineering.

Roy
Dsc_0282 small.jpg

I want to build a bench rifle.
Could you elaborate on your objective please?
A true bench rifle as used in sactioned competition or a recreational bench rifle?
Even if you do not intend to compete in benchrest, looking at what is used there can give you some ideas.

I like the Boyd thumb hole stocks. Looks great!
Now that’s a scope!

I used a Howa 1500 action, Douglas barrel, and the Boyds stock... the scope is a Mueller 8-32x44. It is not an expensive scope, but is very clear and tracks accurately. I have shot sub- 3 inch groups at 600 yards with it.

20150821_143616.jpg

-Bear

Could you elaborate on your objective please?
A true bench rifle as used in sactioned competition or a recreational bench rifle?
Even if you do not intend to compete in benchrest, looking at what is used there can give you some ideas.
This is going to be a recreational bench rifle. I don't hunt and it's not a true bench rest rifle/barrel as you can see.
I haven't pulled this Howa out of it's box in quite some time. I couldn't remember what barrel It had. This is a hunting rifle.
Brownell's had a deal on it so I talked myself into buying it.
Just looking for ideas on how to finish the build.IMG_4276 (2).jpgIMG_4277.jpgIMG_4278 (2).jpgIMG_4279 (2).jpg

NICE!
Is taking the long way home and making your own stock from scratch a possibility?

It would look like I made it :)
I don't have any wood working tools. I have seen guys use metal lathes for wood though.
I would pick up a Boyd before I made one. I just don't have the experience/talent/desire....

Back