Looking for a direction - Howa 6.5 Creedmoor barreled receiver

What is the length of your Japanese factory barrel?
At what distance will you be working?

I have nothing bad to say about Howa. They make good barreled actions, and slap cheap scopes and stocks on to lower the price point. They changed importers sometime around 2005, but the quality has been good, especially compared to the recent Remington 700s. I do have plenty to say about Boyd's, but I'll sum it up in one word: Don't. There are better laminated stock manufacturers out there. For glass, go for what twirls your whirl, but if you're shooting in the wind, avoid those 1/8 minute clicks unless you can count like Rainman. Otherwise, there's lots of good stuff out there! The caliber has proven mid-range potential, no reason to change that. On reloading, I guess one advantage of losing all of your stuff is you can start out fresh with the system you would like to have had before. For presses, my personal choice for bolt rifle loads is Redding, which as a machinist should be obvious to you at first look. Just sayin'. I hope you post progress after getting started!

Does it have to be a wood stock?
Do you have a budget?
I have seen some niffty DIY metal stocks.
Or these people look like they could make one for your Howa
Just a thought.

Till you get your reloading set up, get some Berger ammo, they are not that crazy expensive, and they shoot real well.

Berger Match Grade Ammo 6.5 Creedmoor 140 Grain Hybrid Target Box of

Here is a group shot by a friend through his 8T PRS rig at 1K.

Screenshot_20200210-170355_Messages.jpg

Here is the continuation of the txt messaging had with the shooter. The one 5 shot group is not a fluke. I believe he shot 2 boxes.

Screenshot_20200210-172244_Messages.jpg

Nice shooting Bamban,
What stock is that?
I put an Archangel on my M1A. Breaks my heart thinking of that one! Bought it from Bud’s Guns on A Black Friday sale.
The aluminum stock looks sweet Toz.

I found some stocks that I really like made by GRS. They have a rather unique grip that is angled slightly to accommodate the natural angle of your hand/wrist.

I started with a GRS Sporter for one build and had a very similar Howa 1500 barreled action in 6mm Creedmoor that I put it in the less expensive polymer stock by GRS called a Berserk. The stock has hard fiberglass bedding blocks and shot very well just dropping the barreled action in. The stock Howa bottom metal fit perfectly.

This is not a complaint about the stock but it is more flexible than the laminate GRS Sporter stock. The flexibility does not hurt accuracy in my experience. I have taken mine out to 1300 yards here in low altitude Georgia with great success.

Henryrifle

Back