Looking for a halo LED spindle light

litewings

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
There are so many available. I'm sure many are just to weak to get the job done. If any of you have found a good one that is bright and decent quality, can a get a link to the product? Looking for a 100mm ring. Trying to avoid a pile of lights I'll never use.

I wouldn't spend much on them. Here is a link to one that I bought.

you would need a power supply too. I think I had one laying around here that used. I 3D printed a switch holder and tapped some holes on the side of the mill. I fastened my light ring with E6000 adhesive.
After having the light ring on for a couple of years now, I will have to sat that it is 'ok'. There is a shadow the closer you get to the spindle. I plan on adding a two more led units mounted to a 3D printed arms. I believe I could tie in to the same power source and switch unit.

I doubled up my rings, one inside the other and that seemed to really help with shadows etc. I love them way better than side lights, but a really good option is the led sewing machine lights. They can be very bright, easy to mount because of the mag base and the head itself is tiny so easy to see around.

I went with this one for my mill (RF-45) and used a 110mm. Nice and bright with a color temperature that might be a tad cool, but I prefer that over a light that is too warm.

7milesup, thanks for the link. I have a power supply and switch installed.

Jake P, I was looking at those and they are on my list. 8000k is really cool. Like you, I prefer the cool compared to warm of daylight.

Aukai, That's an impressive looking light, but more than Id like to spend. I may contact them and get dimensions. I'll be installing it in a tach mount ring I'll be building.

I would recommend you recess the LED light into a groove so that the light is shielded from emitting out to the sides - which for me creates terrible glare when I'm trying to see the part being machined. You can see what I'm talking about in this photo. You want most of the light directed downward and shielded from the operator.

48166996732_37b715d2d2_k.jpg

Also, give some consideration to how the wires for the LED are secured when they exit the mounting ring. I've posted my solution to this challenge here. Also have some drawings for a version that fits the PM-935 here that might be useful as a guide.

I would recommend you recess the LED light into a groove so that the light is shielded from emitting out to the sides - which for me creates terrible glare when I'm trying to see the part being machined. You can see what I'm talking about in this photo. You want most of the light directed downward and shielded from the operator.

View attachment 398322

Also, give some consideration to how the wires for the LED are secured when they exit the mounting ring. I've posted my solution to this challenge here. Also have some drawings for a version that fits the PM-935 here that might be useful as a guide.

I've been studying your drawing with the tach pickup. Probably what I will build.

That's great advise on the side shields!!! I did mine with Copper tape for bling...
I have two rings: one on the head casting and one on the face of the quill that moves up and down. I use a badge leash to tender the wires.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Back