Looking for a Lathe

If you plan on barrel work, you need the large spindle bore that a bigger machine will have.
If the machine is in good shape and comes with the tooling the seller says it has, that price is reasonable for this area.
The problem around Portland is that there aren't many machines available in the first place, so there isn't much to
choose from.

Did the owner give you any indication of how the machine was used? (Machine shop, or hobby.)

Does anybody know if those Jet's have hardened ways? The spec for the latest version shows that they are.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if those Jet's have hardened ways?

Mine does, and I think that placard on the tailstock end says ''Flame Hardened Ways'', I can't read it in the picture, but that's where mine is.

Go for the Jet if it's in decent shape. You won't be able to do any firearm/barrel work on a Sherline that's for sure
I would be concerned tho that Jet may be worn since it looks like it's never been cleaned or lubed, buyer beware
For that price it should come with a steady rest and hopefully a 4-jaw chuck too
mark

Hey he could make firing pins! :)

Agree, that is why I always emphasize great little lathe. Very nice machines if your work is small enough, but they are really not a cheap alternative to a larger used lathe.

Tealc, welcome to HM. Haven't seen that name since Stargate ended!

I would agree with everyone that if the ways are good then $1800 is more than fair for a 14" gearhead lathe. It will clean up, I'm sure.

I'm just chiming in because you mentioned a Sherline lathe and I'm kind of a Sherline fan, BUT it is not going to meet the needs of a gun guy. That 1430 probably will, and for a lot less than you can buy a more modern 14" lathe. I would go look at it and take someone who knows lathes with you if you can. The main thing to check are the ways, and you can look on the net or on Youtube for info on how to check that. If the ways are good then check under the headstock cover. You will need to remove some screws but it should be clean inside, with no broken teeth on the gears. If everything runs and you hear no strange noises then I think you'll have a good sized lathe for cheap.

Unlike most Jet tools, that lathe was made in China and not Taiwan. Usually, that would make me pause but in general, Jet tools are spec'd better than most and if it is in decent shape then it is worth 1800 to try it out.

I looked at the ad, here is the equipment listed and shown in the pictures:

Jet 1430 metal lathe .
Steady rest.
3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks.
Face plate.
Follower rest.
Some tooling.

The machine just looks dirty and looks to have been sitting unused for some time.

I looked at the ad, here is the equipment listed and shown in the pictures:

Jet 1430 metal lathe .
Steady rest.
3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks.
Face plate.
Follower rest.
Some tooling.

The machine just looks dirty and looks to have been sitting unused for some time.

The 1430 is probably a typo, the tag shows it is a 1340.

I have a Logan 955 and an Emco Maier compact 5 mini lathe.
I love using both
Logan came with a collet closer, 8” 3 jaw chuck, 8” face plate, collets and tooling for $800.
The emco was given to me from a friend
I bought a 3 jaw chuck and some accessories
Hope this helps
Cr

Back