Looking for a steady rest for my SB heavy 10

twowheelinjim

Active User
Registered
Good afternoon all. I'm looking at a project that will require a steady rest for my Heavy 10. I'm wondering if I could use or repurpose one one from a different lathe? Has anyone done this before? I'm going to be turning a piece of aluminum 4'' X 9''. Actually I have to bore out about 3.25'' X 8" to make a coffee mug for a friend. He has a neat but crazy idea and I want to try to make it for him.

FWIW, Jeff@tools4cheap has new rests for Heavy 10's at a decent price. Here's a link to them.

Bill, that's a very nice steady rest you built. It has inspired me to start drawing up a blueprint for one.
Splat, thank you for showing me the tools for cheap website. After a bit of serching I found a few items that I will be ordering, thanks.

Thank you Jim. I hope yours turns out as well. Please post pictures while you are building it. You may inspire others.

"Billy G"

Bill, I'll post some pictures while in progress. I have already started gathering materials and hardware. I was planning on using roller bearings for the three ends of the as they already have a hard surface. Would you recomment this?

If you are referring to tapered Roller bearings, no. If Cam Roller bearings yes. Mine are just Ball bearings and are no problem.

"Billy G"

Back