looking for another CAD program

I am curious to see how Dassault will turn off old versions of Draftsight. I have the 2017 version.

Back in 2007 (and possibly earlier), Dassault Systemes had a dwg editor as an answer to former AutoCad users who wanted something that they were familiar with without going back to AutoCad. It was available as a stand alone program until 2010 when I believe Draftsight was launched to replace it. I don't recall if it was only available to SolidWorks owners or if it was free to all.

At any rate, here is another free CAD program. I haven't downloaded it and so I can't speak to its performance.

I downloaded Solid Edge 2D, a free Siemens offering. Now I can't find it /open it on my computer. Any suggestions?

Not solved, but I found where it was downloaded to. Still won't run, says so.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. For me, the AutoCAD student seems like the best option. I already have Fusion this way and did not realize AutoCAD was part of the program. I guess I will wait for Desalt to kill my draftsight first.

To RJS above, I'm sure a poison pill to kill draftsight on a certain date was installed long ago. I see I still have 2013 on my hard drive. When they kill 2018, I will try that.

A) this is why you never buy/rent/lease CAD software.

B) me, personally, I use a 1999 copy of Corel Draw.

Not free but I've been very happy with TurboCad Deluxe. Lots of support and inexpensive updates every year or two.

My workshop computer for the CNC mill is running Autocad 2002 via windows 7 (I think). I've tried loading ACAD2002 on my newer windows 8 64 bit machine in the office and it will run a couple of times before failing. I've been running Draftsight on it for a couple of years but it isn't something that I'd consider paying a subscription for since it's just a bastardized copy of 2002. I have old computers stacked up all over the place that will run ACAD 2002, I'll just plug one of them in when the time comes and put a switch on the monitor cabling.

I downloaded Solid Edge 2D, a free Siemens offering. Now I can't find it /open it on my computer. Any suggestions?
You might try the search function in Windows. Just type in part of the name like solid or edge and see what it finds. Most executables have a .exe file name extension. Once you find the correct file you can make a link to it on your desktop. This sounds strange because these programs usually ask where you would like to install it or make a desktop icon when they are done. I haven't installed a version since about 3 years ago so I don't have first hand knowledge of the current version. good luck

I finally found where it had been downloaded to, clicked on it, got a message "program won't run on your machine." I'll write Siemens tomorrow.

Bugger!

I wish they would have left a basic version free for beginners, and those that just use it for simple drawings. It would still be a good way to get more subscribers as people get used to it and want more options.
I might stay with it at the $99 a year as I’m used to it and have quite a few files there and at $8.25 a month I’ll have to make 2 cups of coffee at home to make up the difference.
I do feel that it was kinda in ingenious to lead us on. But as any drug dealer says “the first ones free......”

Back