Looking for belts

Mike23

Registered
Registered
Hi, I have a 101. 12" craftsman commercial model. The belts from the countershaft come up from underneath and drive the spindle. I already took it all apart to remove the belts but nothing at the local stores are the same. They all look too skinny. Does anyone have a good place to get the proper belts for this?? Mike

If I remember correctly, you should have fractional horsepower belting A (4L) profile.

ie. A36 or A48 (4L350 or (4L455) as examples
You can measure the width to ascertain profile
To ascertain length, you could measure the OD.
Or
Make a mark on the belt , as well as on a suitable surface, and roll the belt like a wheel until the mark comes around. Mark that location and measure between the marks.

Hi, I have a 101. 12" craftsman commercial model. The belts from the countershaft come up from underneath and drive the spindle. I already took it all apart to remove the belts but nothing at the local stores are the same. They all look too skinny. Does anyone have a good place to get the proper belts for this?? Mike
https://beltpalace.com/ they have helped me twice now ;)

The two belts used to drive the spindle in the Atlas built cabinet or under-drive models are not FHP (Fractional Horse Power) belts. They are Multiple V-Belts. The tables giving their specs are immediately following the FHP tables in the Machinery's Handbook. Their part numbers begin with a letter instead of a number. The ones that Atlas used are called A-42. If your belt supply guy didn't recognize them, he is just poorly educated. The A- belts are the smallest that were/are made.

Also, although the "commercial" description has come to be applied to all of the half-inch bed machines, Atlas never used it and Sear did not add it until nearly 20 years after the introduction of the heavier 12" lathes. As I have said many times before, saying that you have a Sears "101" only identifies the manufacturer. Atlas and then Clausing made a bunch of other things that Sears also sold.

If they are v-belts, Tractor Supply has an excellent selection of belts, all hanging on a rack and organized by size.

Also check a site called The V-Belt Guys. I found a belt for my Clausing with a Reeves Drive there at a great price.

Last edited:
Hey, just wanted to thank you guys. I did find them at tractor supply. Great advice. I even got it all back together last night. Now on to get some projects in motion.

Im gonna piggy back onto this post as well. I need a new belt for my SB9A. The belt is all cracked and played a little. Idk where to even start to find them.

You can buy the material to make a flat belt from Mcmaster Carr. They have everything from real leather (very expensive), to some sort of cloth/rubber material which is very affordable. Their site makes it very easy to pick the right thing once you ask it the right questions. I use the cloth/rubber flat belts and splice it together with a small hammer and a vise.

Back