Looking for belts

What do you use to splice them together?
Im not sure what they are called, but they are the metal clips that you would use if you had a lacing machine. I could take a picture later if you like.

I am ok with paying a decent amount of money for something that will last a long time. My question is what type of leather belt? I saw 3 leather belts from mc master and what style clips. Do i get the staples or hammer on one. That i would prefer the cheaper route with needing to buy less tools to install them. Idk anything about these flat belts.

Brento,

This is actually the Atlas forum that you are in. AFAIK, Atlas never used anything but V-belts. You really should take your questions to a Forum frequented by people who own machines such as South Bend or Logan models that use or used flat belts. Receiving a valid answer to your flat belt question was just luck. I think that I can move the few posts pertaining to flat belts into one of those other Fora if you wish.

However, the other thing that you should obviously do is to go to the McMaster site and do a search on Flat Belts. That would have answered your question of how you splice or make up a flat belt.

I didnt realize it was about Vbelts in the thread. We were talking about belts so i figured to piggy back and just ask. I did find the flat belts on mc master but i just dont know what i need. If you want to move the posts then sure! I just wanted to see if i could join in.

Well, I can understand how you might not know that of all of the US lathe manufacturers in business in the 1930's and 1940's, Atlas Press Co may have been the only one who had AFAIK never built a lathe that used flat belts.

I started to move the posts in this thread that pertain to flat belts into a new thread in the South Bend forum but couldn't figure out how to write an explanatory post that would appear at the top of the new thread. So I am going to leave it as is. Perhaps the person who pointed you to Mcmaster can simply give you the part number(s) for the appropriate belting(s). And you can get on with what you need to do.. Unfortunately, the only flat belt I ever had any experience with was 3" or 4" wide and was on a Farm-All Cub driving a small portable saw mill sometime in the early 1950's. :)

OK. I'm sure that someone there will answer your questions.

Back