Looking For Bijur Oil Sight Glass- Press In Style--

Bob V

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,
I have an old Van Norman Mill with a couple sight glasses so old you can't see the oil level, and they leak.

--Does anyone know where I can buy some replacements? (The Bijur website is too big and confusing--couldn't find them there.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Your old mill likely has real glass sight glasses, not plastic. Many times it is just that the o-rings or other type seals have gone bad. O-rings would be imperial sized and easy to find. That is usually a pretty easy fix, just need to drain the machine and see what you have there.

Edit: not being able to see through them is likely old oil obscuring them which will probably clean off, if they are glass.

Last edited:
Get the OD of the sight glass and I'll get you the Bijur part number for you. And I'll post the link to their web page so you can order one. You might be able to buy them from McMaster-Carr also.

Get the OD of the sight glass and I'll get you the Bijur part number for you. And I'll post the link to their web page so you can order one. You might be able to buy them from McMaster-Carr also.
Will do Ken, and thanks!
My mill is at my farm shop 30 min away-- so won't be able to measure what I need until tomorrow, but will definitely follow up- thanks!
Bob

hope I am not too off topic but my boy was given a lathe by his father in law and it has two site classes one above the other at the head of the lathe and one has a broken glass and screws in. Do you know of a place that they can be purchased.

I made a sight glass out old an old watch face. I glued a piece of pvc to each side of the glass chucked it up and squeezed it a little with the live center in the tail stock and carefully turned the body to the correct OD.

There are a lot of small import carbide grit glass hole saws on Amazon they would allow you to make little round pieces of glass from scrap material. These hole saws do not use a center drill. You use a guide block with a hole drilled in it to align the bit.

Hi Ken,
I measured the Bijur press-in oil sight glass on my Van Norman 16 overarm, and it is 7/8" OD. If you can tell me where to get them it would be much appreciated.
Bob

Back