Looking for BP-- style carbide inserts

Red96

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello,

Just acquired a neat little solid carbide boring bar off the Bay. Made in Germany, it's very small - shank is 1/4" in diameter. It appears to be the same boring bar that Kennametal's S04-KBLP-R03, sold at MSC, except the Kennametal is Steel; This one is Carbide, but appears identical. The MSC listing says the boring bar uses BP-- style inserts. Here's my issue - I've searched and searched, and cannot find a vendor that carries BP (82 degree parallelogram; 11 degree relief) style carbides in any size.

Obviously I've gone through David Best's book, search engines, CarbideDepot.com, etc., etc. without luck. The ISO and ANSI charts all show the B shape and P relief angle, but can not find anything for sale.

If anyone has a suggestion of places to search or call, I'd certainly appreciate the lead.

Thanks for reading.

20230917_151958.jpg

That’s most likely a special order item, give Curtis at Lathe Inserts a call, he can find just about anything.

Thank you, I will contact him.

Ended up finding the inserts on eBay. Seems these are fairly common in Germany. Not so much in the US.

BPGF 0303L14. Bar cuts beautifully!

Thanks for reading.

Back