Looking For Combo Lathe, Mill & Drill

AkMike

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I currently work in a machine shop and rapidly falling in love with machine work. At my home I run a welding / fabrication shop that has a CNC plasma table and multiple welders. I would like to get a small lathe, mill and drill press for my shop. Is their a decent machine out that there that could do all three, or should I buy three separate machines (subject to price). I don't believe Ill be running a machine everyday, but I find my self needing bushing's more and more everyday, and I thought a lathe would handle that great. Price is a big concern too. I was thinking something like Grizzly's Model: G9729.
Thanks in advanced for your input.
Mike

I feel you need to get three different machines! go to grizzly threads on this site and look at the thread about the g9729 and the problems he is having. A machine that preforms multi task creates multi problems because they have to cut quality and function to make it work and then it does nothing well.

I have also known people who Smithy's and other 3IN1's, and they were not that happy with them, either. The drawbacks seem to outweigh the advantages. When I see one, it is usually covered with dust and packed in behind the newer equipment that replaced it, so I guess they found room for them after all. They are probably just fine for occasional light maintenance work if you do not mind taking the time to morph the machine for a new task. Work holding is also an issue, with limited space and limited access to the spindles. Spindle speeds are also an issue for lots of work that would otherwise fit the machine. They are also not very rigid. For most people visiting this site, dedicated machines are probably a better bet, even if that means small machines crowded together. A mill certainly makes a very good drill press, but most bench models are short on headroom for taller work.

Edit: If you work in a machine shop, you will be comparing the machines there with what you can do on the 3IN1, and it won't look good. For making an occasional bushing, sure, it will do the job.

Last edited:
I have an older Shoptask 3in1, It has been a wonderful machine to have for making small bits and pieces for my garden tractors. BUT unless you enjoy building towers of 123 blocks or whatever using the mill is not very convenient. the lathe is reasonable the mill not overly ridged. At the time of purchase this was the only way machining was going to happen at my house, and with patience is not a bad way to go if room is an issue. I personally would get separate machines if possible but a 3 in 1 can work if you are willing to learn its quirks and limitations.

The 3-1 stuff is universally judged "lacking" rigidity.

There are good options like that called mill turns - mazak integrex is one, at 100x the price.

Thanks everyone for the comments and you are all making since. Any suggestions on a decent lathe under $3000?

I think with a lathe/mill combo, the mill can make a useful addition to the lathe, but is an awkward compromise when you just need to mill something not chucked in the lathe.

Not knowing what kind of work you need to do makes it difficult to recommend a lathe. Generally, the guys in this forum will recommend the largest lathe you have room for and can afford. I have a PM1228 VF-LB and a Harbor Freight mini lathe. I find both of them to be useful, depending on the project.

Try the shop master patriot. Best for ridgity. Had one of the older shopmaster with DRO. Hobbist issue you have to be very well organized if not you spend more time changing the setup. Between lathe mill and drill. Tom

Thanks Franko. I'm just getting started into the machinist world. At work I made dimple dies, bushings and other stuff for industrial equipment. I believe at home a lathe would come in handy for me on building 4x4 buggy parts, bushings etc... No gun smithing.

I have one, you can come and pick it up for a six pack
It holds a steel wire brush in the chuck, that is all its good for....

Back