Looking for feedback on these clamps

I have one of these. I made a 12mm T-nut and cut the bolt down so it works fine on my Rockwell EFI drill press table. I have a Heimlich vise that I added a float lock kind of mod to, but the long arm of the float lock can wiggle a bit when I'm drilling a I"+ hole in steel. It's easy to clamp this tool down on the vise and stop any motion.

I have a clamp sort of like this, believe it's from Rockler, and it has an over center spring design, so the clamping range without adjustment is pretty large. I like it better, but it's more of a woodworking tool and I use it on the Powermatic 2800B drill press. Works great there. It also took finding just the right screw to act as a T-nut.

I have one of those for my atlas table top drill press and love it.

Only problem is I took it off for a job and now I can’t find it.

Had one. Used it once. Found it inconvenient.

I have four - two each in two sizes - that I use on my welding table. I think they're awesome (there). I've never tried them on a mill, but my inclination would be to distrust them. Trust, though, varies with setup and process - so maybe in a pinch...

On the mill you'd probably be better served with a traditional clamp set.

GsT

I often use that type of clamp on my HF band saw. I open up the vise and run the threaded part through the radial slot. Works killer for odd shaped parts. They aren't super high pressure so use your head.

On the mill I want a more positive clamp.

Back