Looking for info on an old die

Even if it is a "die" it may not be for threading, it could be a crimping die for wire terminals, hydraulic hoses or just about anything.

I say open it up!

In December 2019 I bought a new Eisen lathe. Here are a couple of shots of the tool kit that came with it. There are two unlabeled cans contained in the kit - I have no idea what's in them other than they're liquid (nothing in the manual about the tool kit).
I wonder, and this is nothing more than a wild guess, if what you have was part of material that came with a piece of equipment of some sort from back in the '50's. If the cans from my tool kit were removed and sold separately, no one would have a clue what was in them without opening them. You have more information than what's in my tool kit, but that may explain the apparent lack of detail.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Terry
Touch-up paint?

Terry, yours is most likely touch up paint

Is there really a market for old unopened tooling?

Assuming WWII, it was more likely destined for the pacific. I have seen old Navy stuff packed like that, while most old Army stuff was packed in cosmoline & crates. Somewhere I have some specality type of cutters that were packed like that.

Jet included paint is similar cans as well.
Pierre

I got this die in a lot of items and I'm looking to see if I can find any info on it. It states the type/size is 17-B but I've never heard of a size like this. I cannot find info based on any of the text from the label. The die is in a sealed tin dated December 1955, so I don't want to open it...particularly if its worth anything as-is.

Here's all the text from the label. Items followed with an asterisk might have a a couple digits wrong as its very tough to read.

7900-EA
207880*
P5 SNB3*
DIE 17-B
UP1EA*
INSP 154
MAFD

View attachment 349626

View attachment 349627

Not likely paint as once opened, it couldn't be resealed. How much does it weigh? You can do a fairly good approximation of the can weight to get an idea of the contents weight.
Personally, I would just open it. I seriously doubt that an unopened can with some cryptic labeling would have any collector value.

Yeah, you guys are probably right. The lathe has two different colors of painted surfaces, so the two cans are probably touch-up paint.

Keena's from Massachusetts. Maybe his is frozen paint.

Back