looking for info on gears for an old barnes 4 1/2 lathe

abrasivemike

Grinder
Registered
I just uncovered a Barnes 4 1/2 lathe which I thought, ( for years ), was a treadle machine missing numerous parts. I have discovered that the 4 1 /2 was also made for a motor drive which is what I have. It seems to be complete except for the gears that are driven from the spindle. With a couple of gears I'll have a lathe worth restoring and running. It's really CUTE, and interesting with 2 lead screws which seem to be for reversing the direction of feed on the saddle.
thanks, Mike

Mike,
I have a Barnes 4-1/2 as well with motor. If yours is complete, I would like to know if your motor drives a separate set of cone pulleys that then drive the lathe spindle cones?
Thanks

Hi Guys,

A few weeks ago I gave my old 4-1/2" Barnes lathe to my brother, with the understanding that when he's done with it I get it back. I was originally looking for some young(er) machinist wannabe to give it to, like I was when a generous friend gave it to me. It was a great machine to "cut my teeth" on. I would have kept it if I had the space, but I had not used it since I got a 1937 SouthBend 9" with quick-change gears.

I may have to dig a bit, but I believe that I have some documentation/photos of it.

A previous owner had found (and re-bushed) a bunch of gears for it, and had made a vee belt to flat belt counter-shaft.

Stay tuned!
-brino

I had a Barnes #6 that was converted to electric. Too bad, and I sold it to a guy who restored antique bicycles.

Hope to see some pics of yours soon.

Back