Looking for info

bdcues

Registered
Registered
I have an old Sheldon EXL 56 B lathe that needs main shaft bearings. This model uses the Timken bearings. Wondering if anyone knows the Timken part number for these as the Sheldon deal wants about $400 for 2 bearings. With the number I can have the bearings in hand when I take the lathe apart and not have to wait. The dealer seems way too costly comparted to what I might pay locally. Thanks for any information.

There is likely a large difference in the level of accuracy of the bearings between the dealer and local sources.

What Ben said. High precision bearings are going to cost a premium. Those bearings are a LOT cheaper than some spindle bearings I've heard people price.

I went through this with my Clausing some years back. Bought the bearings through the dealer and then priced the same bearing locally. About half the price locally, same part number. Imagine the same is true this time. Sheldon doesn't tell you the Timken number, just shows the Sheldon number but does specify the use of Timken bearing.

HIgh precision spindle bearings generally come in matched sets. The local bearing house may find a bearing that is physically the same dimensions, but it is not equivalent. The price doesn't seem at all unreasonable, try pricing a set of Gamet bearings for a Colchester.

HIgh precision spindle bearings generally come in matched sets. The local bearing house may find a bearing that is physically the same dimensions, but it is not equivalent. The price doesn't seem at all unreasonable, try pricing a set of Gamet bearings for a Colchester.
For future reference if anyone has one of these old Sheldon lathes here is the information regarding bearings. This lathe does not have matched bearings and there is nothing special about these bearings. It calls for Timken bearings. The chuck side comes in two boxes, #355 is the bearing and #354A is the race. Online, Ebay, these can be had for about $60 for the two pieces. The outboard bearing is #3579. This can be had online, also Ebay, for about $60 also, for a total of about $120. Through the Sheldon dealer I paid almost $400. I hope this saves someone a considerable amount of money and searching in the future.

Back