Looking for input on VFD.s

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Has anyone tried any of Vevor's VFD.s I am looking at buying their 7.5 KW to power my new to me 3hp MSC milling machine. I've had good luck with other products I have bought from Vevor but those products were tooling such as Mill Vice and rotary table and tool storage. Thanks in advance for all replies.

I have no experience with Vevor, but why do you want a 7.5kW VFD to run a 3hp (2.2kW) spindle? There are many 3hp VFDs that are rated for single phase input. What you do want to look for is ''vector control'' or something similar, you won't be happy with a VFD that is V/Hz only.

Vevor is a marketing company, not a manufacturer. Quality? Who knows. They are kind of like a online Harbor Freight or Amazon.

I have no experience with Vevor, but why do you want a 7.5kW VFD to run a 3hp (2.2kW) spindle? There are many 3hp VFDs that are rated for single phase input. What you do want to look for is ''vector control'' or something similar, you won't be happy with a VFD that is V/Hz only.

Vevor is a marketing company, not a manufacturer. Quality? Who knows. They are kind of like a online Harbor Freight or Amazon.
Vevor and Amazon make a lot of money off of guys like me. BTW what does Vector control mean?

Vevor and Amazon make a lot of money off of guys like me. BTW what does Vector control mean?
Without getting too deep into the weeds, a vector control VFD applies additional power (torque) to the motor at low speeds. Exactly what you need for a machine spindle. However running at high loads at low speed for extended periods can cause motor overheating. I've never had a problem on my 3hp machine.

Without getting too deep into the weeds, a vector control VFD applies additional power (torque) to the motor at low speeds. Exactly what you need for a machine spindle. However running at high loads at low speed for extended periods can cause motor overheating. I've never had a problem on my 3hp machine.
Which vfd are you using

I can’t help you with your Vevor question, but I have been very happy with Teco and Automation Direct VFDs. I stay away from the no name brands, saving a few dollars is not worth the risk to me. I have a Teco on my lathe that is 15 years old and still working well, so that is usually my go to brand when buying something new. I bought my last VFD from Dealers Industrial, they have good prices and a big selection. https://dealerselectric.com/

3hp is within the range of single phase input VFDs. If you bought one that was only 3 phase input, you need to upsize it at least 1.7x, so the easy way is to just double the motor hp, but a single phase input VFD should be sized to your motor. The important part is to get one that can output at least the motor rated current. Check your motor nameplate as well as the VFD manual and make sure the VFD is at least the same, if not larger.

Lenze/AC Tech are well built VFD's and have been around for years, they are available in NEMA4X so would be a good alternative to the KB sealed VFD's in a dusty or wet environment, or used w/o an enclosure. They are good as a stand alone unit, but they have a limited number inputs and programming options, they also are a bit more expensive then comparable VFD with more features. Models under 40Hp do not have a dynamic brake transistor built in so would not support an external braking resistor. So a bit limited and dated design, I feel there are better VFD options at the same or less price range.

I never hear much about Lenze- are they any good?
-M
I ran a 3hp Lenze on my mill for a couple of years. Flawless performance, and build quality looks excellent. After changing my mill to a Servo 5hp EVS, I have the Lenze VFD squirreled away for future use. I'd buy one again without hesitation.

Back