Looking for my first Lathe!!!

Mister Meeseeks

Registered
Registered
Simple garage hobby shop here looking for my first lathe. I want something popular, so I can find plenty of information on the lathe. I am almost completely youtube taught, ha ha ha. I'm looking to buy a used lathe, I enjoy restoring things like this. I would like to have the ability to cut threads. My budget is like $1000 to $2000... But if it was really worth it I could see myself spending $3k. I'm a big believer in spending money and gettin the item that best suits your needs up front, rather than buying cheaper and then wanting something better down the road. What do you guys suggest? Thank you!

Size matters with machine tools. The recommendations you get will be all over the place based on personal biases towards projects, a guy who restores bulldozers for fun will point you towards 15" and larger lathes, a watchmaker or model maker towards small bench top machines.

To me general garage hobby lathe suggests something around 9-12" swing, so Atlas / Craftsman, South Bend, Logan, Grizzly etc but there are a ton of variables. An Atlas / Craftsman 6x18" or 7x12" mini-lathe is fine for a lot of people making random doo dads around the house, bushings, bolts etc. People wanting to do gunsmith work usually want a lathe with a bigger spindle bore which usually means at least a more recent 12-13" lathe.

Anyway some proposed hobby uses will help a lot, surely you have a project or two in your head that is burning a hole in your pocket to drop a couple thousand dollars on a lathe.

Don't worry, regardless of where you start you will likely "need" more machines within a year of buying your first lathe and we will be happy to help lighten your wallet with suggestions.

BTW welcome
momoney

Get the largest lathe you can afford. My first lathe was a 13x30 that weighs 2200 lbs. I then purchased a 16x60 lathe that weighs 5000 lbs. I still use the small lathe but the majority of work is now done on the 1660. You can do small things with a big lathe but not the other way around.

Simple garage hobby shop here looking for my first lathe. I want something popular, so I can find plenty of information on the lathe. I am almost completely youtube taught, ha ha ha. I'm looking to buy a used lathe, I enjoy restoring things like this. I would like to have the ability to cut threads. My budget is like $1000 to $2000... But if it was really worth it I could see myself spending $3k. I'm a big believer in spending money and gettin the item that best suits your needs up front, rather than buying cheaper and then wanting something better down the road. What do you guys suggest? Thank you!
I’ve had a 7x12 mini-lathe in my small shop for 8 years, but if I were doing it over now I’d get a Precision Matthews 10”: reasonable size/capabilities, not too big a footprint and you shouldn’t have to do anything to it before you can use it (like you would need to do with almost any used lathe).

Atlas will cut a large range of threads including metric, and they are quite popular and well supported- I have two

Last edited:
Make list of what you want make with a lathe. Both now and in the future. Then make a 2nd list of what features the lathe must have to make what you want to make. I call it a statement of requirements. SOR for short. Include everything you can think of to start. Then prioritize your SOR With the absolutely must have at the top of the SOR down to the nice to have but not absolutely necessary at the bottom of the SOR. Only you can make these decisions. Let the SOR be your guide as you search for your lathe. Don't be afraid to make changes to your SOR as you work through the process. Remember that this is the lathe you want. Not what somebody else might want.

Have fun with your search

I was in your shoes a year or so back, and watched all the various classified sites until something came up that caught my fancy. Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, eBay, offer up, etc.

It's easy to say, look for an XXX machine, but reality says, look for the best machine you can afford, as available, in your local market.

In the end, I found a 12x36 Taiwan made machine, for about $1700 that was in great shape. Since then, I've bought a couple chucks, various tooling, a DRO, built a better stand, and overall, spent more money on the machine than the original purchase price.

So goes it with purchasing used, and the hobby in general.

12 to 14" is fof most garage work.
Will need room to sit floor.
Rust is the best price and be clean after purchase.
Single phase is best can be move any where. Three phase is best price as most can not deal with changing to new motor.

Cregelist or Facebook to find a low cost lathe.

Dave

So, I personally think the sweet spot for a hobby lathe is 12x36. But that’s what I have so I’m probably biased.

I wouldn’t focus too much on what’s “popular” lathes are generally suited to making their own tooling and repair parts if you’re dedicated.

If you have 3k to spend that will get you a substantial used lathe or a decent new smaller one. What makes most sense has mostly to do with your projects and the space you have for tools. Mass is always an advantage though whatever size machine you buy.

John

So, I personally think the sweet spot for a hobby lathe is 12x36. But that’s what I have so I’m probably biased.

I wouldn’t focus too much on what’s “popular” lathes are generally suited to making their own tooling and repair parts if you’re dedicated.

If you have 3k to spend that will get you a substantial used lathe or a decent new smaller one. What makes most sense has mostly to do with your projects and the space you have for tools. Mass is always an advantage though whatever size machine you buy.

John
Completely agree. I don’t think you are biased… that was my plan until the voices inside this forum became the voices inside my head…

Last edited:
Back