Looking for organization ideas for cutters and small tools with many duplicates

Julie

Registered
Registered
When I started acquiring tooling for my shop most of it was from eBay, used and in lots. That let me get a wide assortment of tooling for the lathe and mill at a reasonable price. My general shop organization is the mill and lathe along the wall and tool roll-aways and chests behind me when using the machines. This makes it convenient to just turn around and fetch a different cutter, tap, or other item. This has worked well.

My only successful arrangement has been for drill bits. I made drawer inserts to hold bits of the same sizes and have them labeled and ordered metric, fractional, letter, and number in a contiguous sequence so that I can easily find a drill one size larger, etc. The solution is pretty "ghetto" being made out of craft sticks, but at the time I did not have money to do much else. I do not like the idea of the Huot cabinets because the break up the total order of the drills. My solution does have drawbacks around the different types of drills: jobber length, screw machine, extra long, flat end, Morse taper, etc. I intend to make a drill index block for the most common sizes including taps, tap drills and clearance drills so that I do not have to go tor the drawer for every drill.

IMG_7816.JPEG

You can see how easy it is to just turn around and find the drill I need for the lathe or mill. The same is true for taps and end mills.

Currently, all the specialty drills are in a separate drawer, and finding a specific size is not easy. The same is true for reamers because I do not have a full set in an index. (For most of my projects I can adjust the actual size of a feature to match the tooling that I have.)

The are many other collections that have the same characteristic, many duplicates and many sizes: different kinds of end mills (ball, 2 flute, 3 flute, 4 flute, tapered, rounded corner), 1/4" drive bits, hex keys.

As I now have a 3D printer I can print holders similar to the Lista inserts, and I can make it so that I can have just the slots for the sizes of items I current have and insert new holders for additional sizes as needed.

For some items, such as end mills, many of the new ones are in the shipping tube, but most are in just loose. I would like to somehow manage keeping track of new, sharp, usable for roughing and such.

The main idea that I would like some suggests for is how to separate spares from in use items so that one gets worn out at a time instead of having everything wear evenly because I am grabbing a random (drill for example) item each time.

For a while I had all the spare hex keys in ziplog bags and if I needed an addition one of a certain size I just searched through an entire drawer of bags. This was terribly inefficient.

For something like taps, the problem is that there are at least five taps of a given size that I want easy access to (taper, plug, bottom, spiral tip, and spiral flute) and then possibly a dozen or more extras in that size.

I have seen many photos of organizing these types of tooling, but they seem to mostly be a variation of the Huot Drill drawer boxes.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

I like the craft stick index, very creative! I think this is something most of us struggle with. I like the pencil boxes, and see through tackle boxes/plastic organizers. Yard sale cash boxes are good. Sharpie and ink pen caps are pretty good for protecting small reamers/ cutters. I use a tray at the lathe with hex keys, chuck keys, most common drill bits, center drills etc that never leaves the machine, pretty much the same with the mill. I keep hex keys for boring bars/ etc with that particular tool, so I have everything needed when using it. I like the idea of keeping no duplicates in the tool box, a good sharp set, and the rest are stored separately, I'm not exactly a poster child for that though. Magnets holding a 6in scale on each machine, and a tape measure within a couple of steps or at arm's length have saved countless steps. Same with calipers, I like having a beater pair handy at all times. I'm sure I could think of more, but coffee awaits! And I'm looking forward to all the other ideas, great post!

I like your craft stick index. I don’t keep a lot of spares, buy sets and sharpen as needed the usual so metal indexes work great for me. They take up way less room. Same with my taps&dies and reamers.

My fat fingers being what they are I also don’t like flat bottom boxes. So I found these round bottom organizers made by Lista called SGT-4. They can be pricey but I got a deal off eBay. You could print them i guess with a 3d printer. Another interesting setup is I got these with a little drawer box. It was full of these things that are basically louvres. I guess it was used for indexing wood working bits as the drawers were full of wood chips when I got it. They don’t really work for me but just throwing it out there.

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpeg
    IMG_0434.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0524.jpeg
    IMG_0524.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 29
My organizers are Homey Repot buckets at this point . One of these days I'll get organized . NOT ! :)

I used the folding indexes for over a decade before realizing that my most used drills were a PITA to find in the index. I got standing type indexes in fraction, number, letter, and metric, built one for S&D, and never looked back.
I do still have a few specialized things in indexes: plastic drills and micro drills.

Sorry, can't find the photo

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

You can buy empty indexes for not much money. I did that for my reamers (dowel pin, over/under, fractional, number and letter) and it made my life ALOT easier

My organizers are Homey Repot buckets at this point . One of these days I'll get organized . NOT ! :)
You just need to "thin down" your collection some more

I have found that tool organization is really personal. It's a function of how you operate in your shop. I got a buddy who's workbench is a hot mess. He's got all kinds of crap on hooks on pegboard and it's a jumble of stuff, BUT he knows where everything is. His bench is always covered with stuff. I've got everything in boxes and drawers that are labelled and you can actually see the surface of my bench.
Sounds like what you made work for you, so go with it. You could 3D print something a little more "sophisticated" that mimics what you made with popsicle sticks. Think of the sticks as a prototype and design your 3D printed ones based on your experience.

To answer your question: The main idea that I would like some suggests for is how to separate spares from in use items so that one gets worn out at a time instead of having everything wear evenly because I am grabbing a random (drill for example) item each time.

Get some Huot drill indexes to store the drills you use. Get some drill dispenser drawers (like these) if you have the budget. You can get cheaper ones. Use these to store the spare bits.

I bought these drawers from the flea market.

20230701_153758.jpg

I use Hout drill indexes for my fractional, number, letter, and SD drills. To the right of the drawers in the picture. I have enough extra drill bits to warrant the Hout indexes.

Back