Looking for recommendations on rotary tables

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I'd like to add a rotary table to my little shop. I'm thinking that something in the 10" range would be about right and since it's for a horizontal/vertical mill it should also probably be capable of being mounted in both arrangements.

I've been keeping a watch on e-bay as I'd prefer if I could find some older high quality piece but I don't know much about the brands or what to look for/avoid. One problem I'm having as well is that I don't want to spend more on a rotary table than I have on a lathe or a mill. That just seems a little too much.

I've looked at some of the ChiCom models and they are priced about right and the pictures of them look good but I'm leery of what kind of quality I'd actually be getting. This is a tool that I plan to depend on quite a bit so it would make life much simpler if I could find something that I actually could depend on.

I'd like to hear any opinions on what you guys have, want, or know. ;)

Thanks in advance,

-Ron

My best advice is to never purchase a rotary turntable until you have lifted it off the floor a few times.
Over the last 30 years, my 125 pound 10 inch horz/vert turntable seems to have doubled in weight each decade.
Picking it up always makes me wonder if my back, knees or arteries are going to blow first.
Just something to keep in mind.
Dennis

My best advice is to never purchase a rotary turntable until you have lifted it off the floor a few times.
Over the last 30 years, my 125 pound 10 inch horz/vert turntable seems to have doubled in weight each decade.
Picking it up always makes me wonder if my back, knees or arteries are going to blow first.
Just something to keep in mind.
Dennis

I second that!

Troyke, Bridgeport, Pratt & Whitney, Universal and older made in Japan Yuasa(new stuff is Chinese) are just a few of the old iron manufacturers that should serve you well. 10" is a little harder to find, some manufacturers jumped from 8" to 12". Vertex(Taiwan) is only new asian made ones that I've seen that seems to be higher quality.

Like said above thet do get heavy. I ended up putting a shop crane next to the mill to lift my 220 lb 12" Yuasa.

Thanks for the words of advice on the weight of the thing. That was actually one of my limiting factors on size. I didn't want something that would be a huge pain to lug on and off.

Any thoughts on a Moore rotary table? This one is about a three hour drive from me which seems to be about as close as they get (I hate to have to drive, but if it's worth it...).

moorerotarytable.jpg

It's an 11" and is referred to as an "ultra" precision rotary table.

-Ron

moorerotarytable.jpg

I have a Moore roto table just like the one pictured. Very heavy & accurate. One of the draw backs to the one that I have is you can not disengage the table to free spin. It's kind of irritating having to hand crank 360 degrees multiple times trying to center the part. I don't have enough knowledge about roto tables to be giving to much advice on them but I believe the Moore table is a high quality table, I just wish mine had a disengaging lever.

Missed out on a couple of tables but finally did end up with one. It's a little smaller (9") than I had initially wanted but it was just too nice to pass on.

troyke01.JPG

troyke02.JPG

troyke03.JPG

troyke04.JPG

troyke05.JPG

If I end up needing something bigger for a couple of projects I have in mind I can always buy a horizontal table as they seem to go fairly cheap by comparison.

-Ron

Looks like you and I were looking for and found the same thing! Unfortunately tho I had to force it into my possesion at auction (paid more than I wanted to). I think you will be happy. The table can freewheel by loosening the clamp bolts on the split plate in front of the handwheel. Its on an eccentric and moves the worm off the table gear. I would also check if theres any oil in it. I took mine all apart to clean and check everything and It was bone dry inside.

Back